Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking to buying early 955 100k “S” V8
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 am 

TIPEC membership: 8775
Hi, newbie here, just joined TIPEC, looking for latest advice about buying this particular model please.

I’ve done a reasonable amount of research and found out - amongst other things - about the potential engine “ticking” noise issue and the cause of it, but am still unsure about the chances of buying a car which doesn’t currently have it and whether it could develop it and wreck the engine?

I appreciate that it’s a possibility but have also read that it’s more likely to occur in countries with colder climates - by which I understand it’s not necessarily applicable in southern England? I’ve also read that it isn’t as prolific an issue as is made out and that it’s a lot less rare than is made out so don’t know what to think.

There are surely thousands of S models in England running with 100k plus miles that haven’t developed this problem so just how concerned should I be?

I’m currently about to view such a car from a used car dealer that has FPSH - although I realise this alone doesn’t guarantee that it won’t develop this fault ( although I presume that the original plastic coolant pipes will have been changed by Porsche servicing to the metal ones?). In theory it looks like a lovely car but haven’t viewed it yet so I may well go along and find it has the ticking and will walk away obviously. If it doesn’t and appears otherwise okay and I buy it, then can anybody tell me if this is still a sensible choice because of the chances of that issue happening in the near future?

I realise that I could buy a V6 but not sure that I would be happy to live with the lesser performance, and turbos, which of course don’t have this issue, are much rarer to find at similar price levels.

I won’t be doing much more than 5k miles a year not that that will make much difference regarding this matter I suppose?

The car I’m going to see this week is in west Surrey, I’m currently in east Surrey ( imminently moving to West Sussex border so will come under the Kent/ Sussex region), so would be happy to meet any local members that I can chat to about this please.

Any other helpful advice would also be much appreciated, so thanks in advance for your comments.

Post subject: Re: Looking to buying early 955 100k “S” V8
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
I have run my 2005 V8S from 88K to 118K over 2 1/2 years. I looked at a V6 but comments were pretty negative, both performance & fuel consumption. The thing weighs 2100Kg or more & the V6 struggles hence the same consumption as a V8.
Mine is a very high spec car with loads of options & had a pretty comprehensive history. Most importantly is cooling pipes, current cost is around £900-£1200, it must not be left once they start to leak as the starter gets a bath which does it no good at all. The other thing is the prop/carden shaft. The centre bearing diaphram fails & gives bad vibration. The original fix was a new prop, around £700 from Porsche plus fitting. There is an after market replacement which reduces the cost considerably. Also google JimiFix a bodge but seems to work.
As regards ticking this seems to be very variable I suspect the same as the flat 6, super low viscosity oil & 2 year servicing doesn't help. Mine has had at least yearly oil changes. I use 15W/50 motorsport from Comma.
I would get a scan of the OBD2 port done as a minimum when buying, these things can have stored faults which people don't resolve. Remember this is a family wagon so people do the minimum maintenance required, unlike a 911 which is treated as a pampered toy.

There is a great FaceBook group for the 955/957/958 which is pretty US centric. Some of the guys there are on 200-300K miles. & a lot do their own spannering.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628490004068635/

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:25 pm 

Thanks for the swift response Jim!

And thanks for reminding me about the other issues which I had in fact previously noted when I was doing my research, especially the carden shaft issue which is effectively a service item every 60k it appears, and I'm also aware of the heavy tyre wear and cost! I'd be surprised if the coolant pipes haven't been upgraded by now since it has a FPSH as I mentioned, but will still need to verify it of course.

With regard to more frequent oil servicing and use of 15w/ 50, I will ensure that it is done at least once a year minimum and so well ahead of normal servicing schedule as you mention too. I'll probably be using Precision Porsche at Sheffield Park for servicing and repairs, so am sure they will use same or similar oil?

The OBD2 scan is another very valuable tip, I'll have to pay someone to do one though as a) I don't have one and b) I'm not really a techie and c) too old now to do any other spannering anymore due to my knees - this is a bit of a retirement present and I now need space for my golf and other stuff and will be much easier to get in and out of as I get older.

I'll give Precision Porsche a call, to see if they are prepared for me to pay them for a comprehensive inspection of the car at the dealers' premises - although might be a bit far? if so, then it would be good if anybody on here can recommend anyone else who can offer such a service please?

It is ultimately the potential engine issue which is still my biggest concern though since it would mean writing off the car being more cost than the car's value, although it's good to hear from you about other members who've done 200-300k in an 'S'.

The tiptronic box might still go of course although that in itself wouldn't mean writing off the car, and I haven't seen anything much in my research about them regularly going bang......??? Not sure if it'd be worth having the transmission oil changed with this one at 100k as that might cause more problems than it would prevent from what I've read about ZF boxes which I guess aren't that much different unless someone tells me otherwise?

Anyway, thanks again and I'd welcome more feedback from other members about the engine "ticking" issue and it's reliability.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Just to expand, water pipes are apparently age related, according to everyone I have spoken to the plastic ages then dies. The kit has come down in prices I believe it is now £500 or so, it was more expensive when new.
I forgot the gearbox. It is an Aisin Warner box so very mainstream. They are scheduled an oil & filter change @ 120K I think but I had mine done early. I also had front/rear diffs & transfer box done at the same time. Another issue that some are seeing clunky gear changes, this is a valve block issue & can be pretty expensive. Only seems to apply to some cars though, some lowish miles other high miles.
Other issues are leaks, google bulkhead drains. Just done mine, disgusting job but just time consuming. You mention tyres, I run winters & summers. My summers are 2+ years old & are Vredestein Vorti's. They were £600 a set when I fitted them & are at 5mm or so from 8mm when new. I had a geometry setup done when I had the tyres fitted & it was miles out. I suspect this is why people tear up tyres.
My winters are Dunlop Sport 5 in 18" (summers are 19") neither are N rated.
Brakes depends hugely on how you drive, most of mine is either very short 15 miles or so or long 100+ miles motorway. The rear brakes had been done the year before I got mine but both sets of discs are well lipped but I have 6mm of pad left. I suspect I will be doing front brakes in the next 6 months or so though.
Some Porsche Centres (OPCs) are prepared to work on them as Classics which means a lower labour rate. As a TIPEC member I get discounted bits as well.
The Kent TIPEC meet is next Monday at the Moody Mare West Malling. I should be there work permitting so you're welcome to have a nose around mine by all means.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 pm 

Thanks again Jim, all good stuff!

Meant to say it’ll be the Surrey and Sussex region in my case and Bolney Stage meet is very close for me at my old and new address although I would come to your meet to buy you a beer at least for all your input but it’s my wife’s birthday and know she wouldn’t be impressed with that.

Another time perhaps and I’ll show you my purchase hopefully by then.