Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Porsche 912 1966 Advice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:08 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hello,

I've just joined the forum as I would really appreciate some advice on whether to buy a 1966 Porsche 912. I have owned several new Porsches, but this is my first venture into classics and just want to be aware of any pitfalls of buying this car.

The car in question is in reasonable condition but needs a good servicing and tidy up as its been in storage for a few years.

Are they reliable?
Are parts easy / cheap to come by?
Any obvious issues with a 912?

Just anything that will help me would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Stu

Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 1966 Advice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
Whereabouts are you? I would suggest you get the car inspected by an expert, there aren't many people around these days who fit that bill! That car in very good order will be worth a considerable sum, and even a shed owner will think his car is worth a fortune! Yes they are very reliable, once they have been brought back to decent order, parts are not that easy to find now, but possible, and expensive. Beware of underbody protection liberally applied, can hide a multitude of sins, and often does, cars of this age rot, and P cars were no exception. Engine, gearbox stuff is normally not too difficult, although some engine major components may cost a lot. If you let us know where you are we could probably give you a steer to someone who could give you an honest opinion. The 912 when up together is a joy to drive, being very light and pointy, with a few grand spent on the engine you can get some decent horses out of it too, but remember it's an old motor now!! Good luck.