Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:11 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Boxster Exhaust Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:52 pm 

Hi There,
I own a 986 3.2S Boxster and have been thinking about swapping to a oem sports exhaust or after market system!
What is the best value for added performance , noise, price etc!

Do I need a full system, or just cat back??

What have you fitted?

Look forward to the replys.

DT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:05 pm 

The Porsche Tequipment backbox is good, but expensive, around £800, and a lot more if you have the switchable system, which allows you to quieten it - though that defeats the purpose of a sports exhaust. It also looks a bit odd from behind.

I have heard a few aftermarket backboxes and the only one that has impressed is the one I have on my 986S, made by Oettle in Germany. They take a standard OEM backbox and weld on a couple of bypass pipes, in the same manner as the Tequipment box. However, the pipes aren't visible from the outside once the box is fitted. They may also do something to the inside of the box, since mine has been welded up. It costs around £250 and sounds fabulous. No resonances or boominess. When cruising it is virtually as quiet as standard but under acceleration it sounds great, without being antisocial.

Oettle boxes are sold on Ebay, just search for Oettle, and you can look at a video, which is a very accurate representation of the sound quality.

Two points of warning. If you use a hardtop you might want to reconsider. The box causes the rear window on the hardtop to resonate badly above 4500 rpm and also spoils the sound. Secondly the box is difficult to fit and requires cutting of the connecting pipes. It took my Inde about 90 min to install.

My rides: 02 Boxster S - perfect in many ways although mine has been likened to Trigger's Broom; 1988 911 3.2 Sport - so much feel and character, a challenge to drive well, a flawed diamond in many ways, but every journey is an occasion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:49 pm 

Thanks for the info!
I have since purchased a Canadian made s/s sports back box for a very good price !( With the current exchange rate) I hope it's winging it's way over as we speak and I get a chance to fit it and try over the Christmas break!

Feedback will be posted once fitted ! Will it be a lemon :oops:

cheers

Post subject: Re: Boxster Exhaust Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:47 pm 

well I fitted the S/s Canadian aftermarket back box... It sounded awesome, however it was really far too loud for road use, So I have since fitted an original OEM sports box which sounds just right and you can still hold a normal conversation in the car!