Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:22 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: First timer used Car Worries
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:48 am 

Hi all, just bought my 1st Porsche, a 2000, 3.2 S - yesterday. Did a bit of research before purchase but today, on YouTube, I watched a clip about buying a used Boxster and to NOT buy one that has a 'mayonaise' type residue on the underside of the filler cap.
I then went straight out to check my car- which I purchased privately- opened the cap and saw a thin film of a white substance under the cap and on the filler tube neck. It was a very small amount.
Should I be very worried? Advice please!!!
Going to immediately phone main dealer tomorrow morning to book in for it's 60,000 service anyway but all replies appreciated.

Post subject: Re: First timer used Car Worries
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:54 am 

Tommyt wrote:
Hi all, just bought my 1st Porsche, a 2000, 3.2 S - yesterday. Did a bit of research before purchase but today, on YouTube, I watched a clip about buying a used Boxster and to NOT buy one that has a 'mayonaise' type residue on the underside of the filler cap.
I then went straight out to check my car- which I purchased privately- opened the cap and saw a thin film of a white substance under the cap and on the filler tube neck. It was a very small amount.
Should I be very worried? Advice please!!!
Going to immediately phone main dealer tomorrow morning to book in for it's 60,000 service anyway but all replies appreciated.

Hi :)

Its nothing to worry about...

Its called "mayonnaise" and its just moisture caused by either short runs or lack of use...

All you have to do is take it for a 20 mile blast on open roads and it will vanish...

I was a race mechanic for many years and whenever its a blown headgasket there are TONS of the stuff....several CUP FULLS....and also oil in the water...

So don't worry, just give it a blast and all will be ok :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:02 am 

Cheers B, was cr*ppin myself! Any suggestions on a warranty provider? Looking at the receipts I received from previous owners, simple things can be massively expensive.
Again, thanks for response.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:11 am 

Tommyt wrote:
Cheers B, was cr*ppin myself! Any suggestions on a warranty provider? Looking at the receipts I received from previous owners, simple things can be massively expensive.
Again, thanks for response.

I believe a LOT of Boxster owners are now using the TESCO warranty as its only £400, whereas the Porsche warranty is around £1300......which is a lot of money for what is a relatively cheap car these days...

The Porsche section at Pistonheads has LOTS of discussions about warranties if it helps :)

p.s Where in the Uk are you based ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:08 am 

Cheers again, I got a Tesco quote for £199? Am in Ireland, Belfast. Where are you based?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:37 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Tommy,
When I first checked the oil cap on my 996, it had a small film of "mayo". I also panicked after reading the so called horror stories on the web, even though I knew the guy I bought it off had left it in a barn for 3 month's! The first few month's of owning a Porsche are full of worries, "what's that creak? should that be making that noise? is that a drip of oil? etc,etc". It is, after all, a machine, a very good one I grant you, but a machine never the less. It makes me smile (now) how people buy a 10 year old car (as in my case) and expect it to run just like it came out of the factory because its a Porsche.
As Brett says, just run it and enjoy.

All the best
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:46 am 

TIPEC membership: 4260
give it an italian tune up ....... a good thrashing, should clear out the mayo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:51 am 

Tommyt wrote:
Cheers again, I got a Tesco quote for £199? Am in Ireland, Belfast. Where are you based?

I am in Bournemouth on the South Coast of England :)

That quote seems a little cheap.....check if any conditions....like maximum payout for a single claim, etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 am 

Folks, after parking on level ground overnight, sadly, this morning, I have discovered a few drops of water on the rubber - where the roof meets the windscreen on n/side. Doesn't appear to have happened before now- carpet dry. Can I diy tighten the roof? Doesn't look that tight where it meets top of windscreen.
Cheers, T