Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 987 Short Shift Upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:58 am 

TIPEC membership: 9309
Hi. Does anyone here have any good advice or opinions on the short shift upgrade for the manual box on a 987 Boxster? I have a 2008 2.7 Boxster and am looking at subtle performance upgrades to enhance the general driving experience. I have noticed that OEM kits retail for around £400, however alternatives are available for much less (£150 and even £30 parts spotted online!); does anyone have experience of having any of these fitted, and how they rated the upgrade?

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 987 Short Shift Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:50 pm 

TIPEC membership: 9261
I fitted the OEM one.....it is DIY and then costs c£250......they do come up form time to time second hand on eBay......

nb this is a common part for "many" porsche models which are now all under the same part number.....eg was standard on some GT3 models.....

nb the green bracket is a retaining bracket which clips to the black plastic below it to ensure that the gearstick is lined up in the neutral position as you fit it. Once fitted to the gear linkage rods in situ the green bracket is removed.

There is an excellent instruction manual online on how to fit this so I won't repeat that .......

http://billswebspace.com/Porsche987ShortShiftDIY

The only thing I will say is that I managed to fit the kit without actually needing to disconnect any wiring to the central console, I just unclipped one wiring retaining clip and that just gave enough slack to get the central console out of the way to fit the kit.....

in total the job took me about 90 minutes, taking my time to make sure I did not break anything. A couple of the retaining screws are harder to put back than get out but you just figure it out as you go along.....all in a simple job to do, just a little fiddly in places.........

the finished result........looks the same as before :grin: .........but my god does it transform the drive :thumb: .....the standard gearshift is slick......the is slicker, proper race car feel about it :drive: