Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tax exemption... ?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:13 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Wonder if anyone knows if my 928 will be tax exempt this year, I've read a lot of contradictory info and still no wiser !

The car was first registered on the 6th June 1980 ? so technically it's 40 years old on the 6th June 2020 ?

Or do I have to find out when it was actually first built, and how would I negotiate that minefield ?

Any help is most appreciated , thanks.

Post subject: Re: Tax exemption... ?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:53 pm 

Have a look on http://www.gov.uk - currently it still says the vehicle has to have been built before 1st January 1979 or first registered before 8th January 1979 to be exempt:
https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/ve ... ehicle-tax

On this page it says that the 40-year rolling exemption comes into effect on 1st April each year:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... c-vehicles

The way I read that, vehicles built before 1st/registered before 8th January 1980 will become tax-exempt on 1st April 2020, so your June-registered 928 won't become exempt until 1st April 2021, unless you can prove that it was built before 1st January 1980.

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:18 pm 

Thank's Michael, would you have any idea how you go about finding when a 928 was built ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:15 pm 

I'm afraid not, there's bound to be someone on here who's been through the process and can advise properly though. Might be worth a call to your local Porsche dealer in the meantime to see if they can help or point you in the right direction.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:02 pm 

ampegboy1 wrote:
I'm afraid not, there's bound to be someone on here who's been through the process and can advise properly though. Might be worth a call to your local Porsche dealer in the meantime to see if they can help or point you in the right direction.

Michael
Thank you. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:04 pm 

TIPEC membership: 9393
Hi,
I went through finding out the date of manufacture of my 79 928 which took me a month for confirmation last year.
After applying to DLV 3 times having jumping through hoops to get my application correct they returned my paperwork saying that my car wasn't built before Jan 1979 deadline so wasn't valid for exemption. Even rang them up and argued my case to no avail as it isn't a rolling date.
So in effect your car has to be 41 years old to qualify so will need a new MOT to apply again this year.
Bureaucracy at it's best eh.
Duncan

NE region.

1979 Porsche 928 owner for 35 yrs

BMW X5

1953 little grey Fergy!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 am 

TIPEC membership: 6379
I've just jumped through the hoops to get my car registered for Historic class taxation during March this year. Its not entirely clear how to do it, but once done it is more obvious how to do it. My journey....

* Went to two Post Office counters, staff and computer said they could not process nor post to DVLA...
* Called DVLA directly, they said to send in the V5 and supporting paperwork to them
* I posted a filled in V5 stating need to change to Historic status plus letter and paperwork from Porsche to show my car was built in December 1979.......this was the critical bit as the car needed to be built and proven prior to 8th January 1980 to qualify for Historic class from 5th April 2020. It was first registered on 18th March 1980, so effectively missing the 8th January cut off for this year unless I had the proof it was built in Dec '79. I obtained proof 10yrs ago when I bought the car of its build original date and had a COA showing production date.
* Paperwork was returned to me with a new V5.......but with a V10 enclosed which was supposed to be completed and sent to DVLA first time......if only I knew during that phone call. It needed the same info completed on the 1st V5..... so completed and sent back again
* Paperwork has not yet returned from DVLA as of today but on 1st April when tax was due I checked the 'tax checker .gov' website and my car shows 'taxed' until 2021.

So to answer your question, if your 928 was registered in June 1980 you will unfortunately have to wait until after 8th January 2021 and its status to Historic will be valid from 5th April 2021.

So in short, fill in the V5 and V10 requesting change of taxation class to Historic
Post to Taxation Dept, DVLA, Swansea
Needs to be built/registered before 8th January to be eligible for free tax from the following 5th April.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:30 pm 

Exactly what happened to me, I found out through PGB that my 928 was built on the 9th Dec 1979 so it qualifies now for tax exemption. Sent all paperwork ie log book build date and hard to come by, proof letter from PGB etc to dvla on Feb 24th thinking its giving them time to sort it, a week later all the stuff I sent came back plus they said the same as you I omitted form V10 I filled it in and sent it off on the 9thMarch via registered delivery, I have proof they received it on the 10thMarch, since then not heard a dicky bird (covid 19) .
Currently ( although I know your not allowed to drive etc ) I cannot use the car as I do not know its legal status, even if I wanted to tax it I cant as they have the log book etc, they have obviously done nothing as the car is still showing SORN on their web page.
Stuck between a Rock and a hard place springs to mind ???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:19 pm 

kenthepipe wrote:
Exactly what happened to me, I found out through PGB that my 928 was built on the 9th Dec 1979 so it qualifies now for tax exemption. Sent all paperwork ie log book build date and hard to come by, proof letter from PGB etc to dvla on Feb 24th thinking its giving them time to sort it, a week later all the stuff I sent came back plus they said the same as you I omitted form V10 I filled it in and sent it off on the 9thMarch via registered delivery, I have proof they received it on the 10thMarch, since then not heard a dicky bird (covid 19) .
Currently ( although I know your not allowed to drive etc ) I cannot use the car as I do not know its legal status, even if I wanted to tax it I cant as they have the log book etc, they have obviously done nothing as the car is still showing SORN on their web page.

Check your tax status here ..https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Haven't received my V5 back, its been over 4 wks since I sent it with the V10. But I did a check on the above site and it says my car is taxed until 2021. So DVLA have pressed the button at their end. Which is good news as its now my supermarket car as I've lost the company car during furlough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:11 pm 

Carrera RSR wrote:
kenthepipe wrote:

Check your tax status here ..https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Haven't received my V5 back, its been over 4 wks since I sent it with the V10. But I did a check on the above site and it says my car is taxed until 2021. So DVLA have pressed the button at their end. Which is good news as its now my supermarket car as I've lost the company car during furlough.

Thanks for the reply, yes I checked it and it is still showing SORN. I have in the past few days approached a well known car related publication, and explained my predicament to them, to my surprise they answered my email and said they would be very interested in helping and that they will look into it for me, so that gives me hope, so when I hear from them I will post again.
Cheers...,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:48 am 

Have you phoned DVLA directly? I did twice during March and they were really helpful.

Still not received my V5 back though. Now 6 weeks. Not too worried at the minute. Don’t need it. I’m sure they have plenty to get on with and skeleton staff no doubt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:27 pm 

Carrera RSR wrote:
Have you phoned DVLA directly? I did twice during March and they were really helpful.

Still not received my V5 back though. Now 6 weeks. Not too worried at the minute. Don’t need it. I’m sure they have plenty to get on with and skeleton staff no doubt

My last contact via phone was in early March, since then you cannot contact them directly unless your enquiry is about NHS or HGV after the recorded message telling you that, they just shut off, no help / advice or anything !!!
Not heard anything from the motoring publication I mentioned yet., and my car is still on SORN, to say I'm annoyed would be an understatement !

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:19 pm 

I last rang end of March and got through no problem. I guess I was lucky to get my V5 + V10 processed before lockdown. I guess they may be on key worker workload only due to being on skeleton staff? Virus wins again!?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:18 pm 

Well just an update, I still haven't heard anything from dvla, however my email to Classic Car Weekly for advice did have a result, infact it made the headline with a page 2 picture and write up. CCW were extremely helpful keeping me up to date with any progress, however it's still a waiting game ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:29 pm 

Well after almost 4 months I finally got my tax exempt status issued last week.