Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dodgy petrol hose
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I have just had quite a fright. I refilled my 84S2 today, and while the cost is fright enough, on reaching home noticed a smell of petrol that seemed out of keeping. Looked under and the fuel was dripping out of the pump cover. Quickly removed the cover to discover that the nearly new OEM pipe 928 356 550 05 which goes from the tank to the pump had delaminated. Frantic solution, pull off hose and push PVC hose plugged on in its place. Slightly more relaxed investigation shows that the entire inner has degraded as well. I'll be interested in my OPCs view of this, but meanwhile check if you have a new hose. Oh yes, it was Shell V Max, not that I expect it to be any more aggressive.
If that lot had caught fire I shudder to think what would have happened....more to the point I hope it doesn't happen to any one else either.

Post subject: Re: Dodgy petrol hose
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:14 pm 

Update: it appears that the hose lining is not resistant to modern fuel. When I ordered the hose it had to come in from Germany as there was no UK stock. Contacting Reading customer service was staggeringly useless. They kept asking for installation photos, which I sent as well as book, chapter verse of the workshop manual. Then turned round and said I must have installed it wrongly. Quite clearly customer service is used to dealing with semi technical customers, and quite idiotic.
So I now have an issue, the official supplied hose has a rather short and dangerous life, one end is the tank spigot (10mm) and the pump inlet (12mm) it turns through about 300 degrees so just buying a length of hose is not ideal. There isn't really room for regular hose with out kinking it rather alarmingly.
Has any one any ideas who might be able to supply a fuel resistant hose of suitable diameter, have a contact with the Classic spares people in Germany, or any better ideas than to use a pair of tights!
My current thought is to make up a bent brass tube silver soldered to a stainless ball valve affair and connect it with two short lengths of plain hose then I can close the valve if I need to work on any down stream part of the fuel system.
I sincerely hope no one else turns their fuel system into a garden sprinkler..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 pm 

I’m sure it’s something we are all going to face with ethanol added fuels, it’s going to be a real problem in years to come

I am not sure what resistance silicone hose is, but I have replaced some of mine with R6 fuel hose, you can get it to bend with a copper pipe bend tool that goes up the inside and a hot air gun

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:05 am 

Bending R6 sounds very interesting. I have some on order so will definitely try to see how much I can shape a piece. I think I have a 10mm Spring already.