Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Not Elitist ??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:55 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
So here's a guy that doesn't like to leave anything original - for me a factory product is a blank canvas waiting to be attacked.

I've been involved in the design and manufacture of speciality cars and Replicas all my life. retired in 2002 but I continue to serve previous business colleagues with design consultancy and other input.

I produced several Porsche replicas - including 356 Speedster [ first in the UK ], Convertible D, T6 Roadster and a spaceframed 550A Spyder. I'm still involved with a couple of consultancies here in the UK and in Germany. I'm currently reworking my California Speedster into an "Outlaw" style for limited production.

When I was in business [ retired and sold up 2002 ] I belonged to the other Porsche club, and as soon as I mentioned my replicas, it was suggested that the club wasn't the right place for me ! Although I did own a couple of real Porsches at the time.

I have just bought a Boxster from my German pal - and whilst at his factory working on the T6 Speedster Outlaw, we just happened to drop a set of moulds next to the Boxster ...........

So my question - before I lob £40 in your direction - am I likely to be blackballed ?

Attachments:
old pix old pc 2 008.jpg
old pix old pc 2 008.jpg [ 47.33 KiB | Viewed 7484 times ]
old pix 003.gif
old pix 003.gif [ 39.35 KiB | Viewed 7484 times ]
family 595.jpg
family 595.jpg [ 198.78 KiB | Viewed 7484 times ]
IMG_2844.JPG
IMG_2844.JPG [ 205.05 KiB | Viewed 7484 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Not Elitist ??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 4746
Welcome to the forums!

www.tipec.net wrote:
We as a club cater for the whole range of models and welcome owners of replicas.

ARO Southern
Website & Forum Admin
1991 944 S2 black/grey
1986 944 Lux red/black

JOIN THE CLUB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:37 pm 

hotblack944 wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

www.tipec.net wrote:
We as a club cater for the whole range of models and welcome owners of replicas.

That's what I thought !! Many thanx for your acceptance. Our repertoire includes the ONLY Carroll Shelby approved replica Cobra, and various Classic Jaguars - D Type, XKSS and currently the C Type. We've just developed a version of the C Type [ CV8 ] using the Jaguar supercharged V8. Pix - Carroll in our RAM Cobra - sunny Essex - and our current C Type.

I now have my sights set firmly on the Boxster as future regs will make it almost impossible to market and sell a replica based on a non original chassis / running gear - no matter HOW superior to the original. I have also previously been involved with body swap cars - based on the Pontiac Fiero.

As soon as I get myself organised I'll be joining the club and hope to find a few like minded souls along the way.

Attachments:
cars 035.jpg
cars 035.jpg [ 140.24 KiB | Viewed 7481 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 181.5 KiB | Viewed 7481 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
Welcome to the forum and the Club.

It is all about people and a shared passion for cars. Original/modified/replica, you’ve chosen Porsche it doesn’t matter to us.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:15 am 

Sean Smallman wrote:
Welcome to the forum and the Club.

It is all about people and a shared passion for cars. Original/modified/replica, you’ve chosen Porsche it doesn’t matter to us.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

Thanx for the welcome.

I'm lucky, my early automotive / biking hobbies turned into real work ! And over 60 years later the passion hasn't diminished. I'M a bit slower and with shot knees [ American Football ], my 2 wheel days are coming to an end. :(

However, I have still worked on design development for other industry friends for the past 15 years since my "retirement" - and continue to do so. My previous German agent and lifelong friend has prototyped the 356 T6 Outlaw from my old California moulds and now wants me to take it into production. As previously stated - we also looked longingly at a Boxster as a potential donor.

I am also fortunate that another business colleague and friend [ UK ] has offered me the use of his not inconsiderable facilities and financial backing for the project [ s ].

It's a steep learning curve for me on the Boxster ..... but at the end of the day - it's just another car. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:21 am 

TIPEC membership: 7576
I have an old Porsche 968 and a BRA 289 Replica Cobra that is celebrating 30 years since I finished building it, in 2 weeks time. In TIPEC my 289 is welcomed and even admired at club events. They are a great bunch of people.

I also belong to Porsche Club GB but I don't think I know anybody else who is a member - says it all really.

David

Radical PR6
1928 Delage DR 70 Saloon
LandRover Discovery Sport

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:28 am 

Largie wrote:
I have an old Porsche 968 and a BRA 289 Replica Cobra that is celebrating 30 years since I finished building it, in 2 weeks time. In TIPEC my 289 is welcomed and even admired at club events. They are a great bunch of people.

I also belong to Porsche Club GB but I don't think I know anybody else who is a member - says it all really.

David

David,

I always admired Gerry's products - first class. I had one of his first 289's in my showroom alongside my own FIA Cobra.

I think true enthusiasts will appreciate good work, no matter what the origin. Our RAM Cobra and D Types were accepted into Historic racing when they couldn't find enough "real" ones. Brabham reckoned our D was "better than the original". He drove it from the NEC to Silverstone and back for the Innes Ireland memorial rally.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:28 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7576
Gerry was working for BRA when we bought our kit, but his Hawk cars have improved the replica business significantly. I see Gerry quite often these days.

Regards

David

Radical PR6
1928 Delage DR 70 Saloon
LandRover Discovery Sport

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:03 pm 

Not sure if you've seen the beetle bodied Boxsters.
I quite fancy doing one of those in the future.

Boxster 2.7 Silver 00 Sold
Boxster S Meridian 01 Sold
928 S2 Prussian Blue 86 Sold
993 C4 Arena Red 97 Sold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:58 pm 

JasonGibson wrote:
Not sure if you've seen the beetle bodied Boxsters.
I quite fancy doing one of those in the future.

REALLY !!!!!!! Now there' a twist ! :shock: Thanx for the headsup - I'll check that out.

There are several problems with the old Beetle based replicas and kits - the obvious ones of archaic running gear and the expense of getting reliable power, decent 'ish handling and brakes etc.

Now the cost of a good donor had gone up - there is now the double whammy of ever tightening regulations.

The Boxster is sufficiently affordable to buy as a donor - and of course it already has good road manners and creature comforts. I suspect that quite a few owners of early cars might consider a body swap upgrade as an alternative to selling cheap and buying the next model up.

I am currently looking at the T6 Roadster body that we have for our Beetle based Outlaw as a suitable basis for a body swap exercise.

Until a few years ago I had a set of Kharmann Ghia moulds ..............................

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:14 pm 

My membership will be sorted in the next few days.Well, it's going to happen, looking at a 2.7 Boxster at the weekend for the donor car and the T6 Outlaw body is coming out of the moulds next week.

LOOKING FORWARD TO MY NEW PROJECT 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4453
Hi,

Welcome to the club, with a background like yours and the future ideas we have to get you to write us an article for the club magazine. I look forward to reading it.

Regards,

Mick

2010 Cayman S - White
Previously
2005 997 C4S cab - Blue
1990 S2 cab - Red
2006 Boxster - Silver
1988 944S - Black