Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Torque tube bearing noise?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi team,

Been enjoying my car recently with little jaunts here and there...sadly not today as weather is terrible..........

So, when I bought the car the garage man said there was a rear noise when driving under load. He told me it was the torque tube bearings...and whilst a little noisy it was nothing to worry about. It sounds exactly like when you reverse a car fast and is only audible when under load. With the roof off and windows down you can barely hear it!

My French mechanic told me it was unlikely the torque tube bearings as it would vibrate under the gear stick/cassette box arm rest as well.........who is right?

Question is what is the likely problem and is there much I can do about it? What will happen if I leave it as it is? Don't really want to start taking the car apart if there is no problem other than the noise. I have changed the gearbox oil and this has made little difference.

Thanks,

M

Post subject: Re: Torque tube bearing noise?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 pm 

Aha gearboxes and torque tubes! My favourite subject lol. It may be the TT, but more likely some bearing noise from the box. Almost all 944 transaxles are quite noisy. You could overhaul the gearbox and/or TT, but I wouldn't bother. Get some Swepco 201 for the box and it will quiten down. If it doesn't it's probably the TT bearings. Either way it's far from uncommon and you'll just get used to it.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:14 pm 

Thanks Stuart...(888 posts for lucky you!) you have eased my tiny mind...I have already changed the oil once with Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 only last month. Will the Swepco 201 stuff be a lot better?

Happy as it is really.....unless of course it is a bad sign of things to come....

Cheers,

M

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 pm 

Thanks! Swepco will make it quieter. I'm sure all will be fine for you!

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7133
I assumed you would hear TT bearings all the time other than when the clutch pedal is depressed?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 pm 

You would, but any time the TT is spinning parts of the gearbox are also spinning. Most 944 boxes have a little chatter at idle which can be mistaken for TT noise. There are a shed load of bearings inside a 944 box, any of which can cause noise. Swepco will make a difference to any noisy box, if no different when full of Swepco I'd condemn the TT, if it is a bit or a lot quieter with Swepco then the noise is box related. But they are mostly all noisy to a certain extent anyway.

Chasing noises on a 944 is always fun!

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:01 pm 

Here is my noise https://vocaroo.com/i/s0iXqqLDWI3J

4th gear on for 4 seconds off for four and back on again...gentle acceleration around the 3000 rpm mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:45 pm 

It's hard to tell what is road noise and what isn't, but the gearbox noises sound quite normal. I can hear the crown and pinion engaging and disengaging which is quite normal, as you come on and off the throttle. The ever so slight high pitched whine I can hear sounds similar in my car. I don't think there are any particularly bad or nasty noises there. I bet they all go away with Swepco in the box and I also think all those noises are in the gearbox, not the TT.

If the drone was not road noise, it will be gearbox bearing noise. Again Swepco will make a difference, and if it doesn't you can pin the noises on the TT, but I reckon its not the TT. I have been wrong before though, plenty of times!! :bounce:

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:16 pm 

Thanks for response...guess it is more gearbox related rather than TT. It's not so bad, similar to others and have got used to it really..just wanted to make sure it wasn't getting worse, which its not, or going to have a detrimental effect on the car any time soon.....which it hopefully won't either. So, on to the next challenge....the rear de-mister and painting some broken lines in...

Thanks,

M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:49 pm 

Yes correct! The gearbox is as tough as old boots but you will have some bearing wear after 30 years as well as crown and pinion wear. All perfectly normal and won't get noticeably worse any time soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
Every thing Scam75 said....
Had a few 944 / 924s now and they all had audible transmission noise to varying extents. The most notable was on my 1st 944 lux, constant whining (even after the misses got out the back seat). Gave it 20+ hard laps on a trackday and was quite as a mouse there after - guess it decided to quite moaning after a good thrashing (shame the misses doesn't respond in the same way :lol: ). BTW..I'm not recommending this as a cure, for either your car or misses!