Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 944 for sale... worth a look?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Looking at NA 944s currently for sale, I've come across this one, towards the lower end of the price range but local to me so in principle easy to go and have a look at:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1029262

Its MoT history suggests that it has had work done in the past, but then I suppose quite a few have by now. The sills are mentioned in the ad as well, which may be something to probe the vendor on a little. I can't see anything obviously wrong in the photos, but as I'm still pretty new to these cars I was wondering whether anything in the photos, description or MoT history sets alarm bells ringing with any of the many more knowledgeable members on here?

Many thanks in advance for your views!

Post subject: Re: 944 for sale... worth a look?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8276
Price looks good but I'd be very wary about the rust in the sills. It failed MOT, passed and then 4000 miles & 5 years later failed again for the same thing which sounds to me that the job wasn't done right to start with.

Things like fuel lines are likely to need doing if not already sorted, look under rear of car and you should get an idea of condition of them. This was the state of the lines on my 1986 2.5 Lux http://porsche911owner.blogspot.com/201 ... ement.html

Other than that, all the usual things to check - electrics so sunroof, windows, oil pressure etc. No photos of interior and condition not mentioned for that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 am 

Thanks very much 996driver. Good point about the sills. I have asked the vendor for some more information about the work that has been carried out, and also about the interior (condition of the upholstery, presence of absence of cracks in the dash, etc.).

Will let you know how I get on!

There are a lot of 944s out there, but as with classic cars generally not all that many up north. I'm prepared to travel for the right car, but over the past year have already spent quite a lot of time travelling to see cars (Mercs mainly) that upon arrival did not match the adverts and descriptions from the sellers...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:09 pm 

Update: car has now been sold.

The hunt continues...