Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gearbox Update - Help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Afternoon all

Well finally got the AOR box apart and its bad news. Full gear set, crown wheel and pinion is toast. The LSD has survived and I can get a full gear set from somebody who has contacted me. I need a crown wheel and pinion. Does anybody A:know if the crown wheel and pinion is the same as in any 944 box, any turbo box? B: Have one!

I do have a non LSD turbo box in the car just now but it is quite noisy. The crown wheel and pinion may be ok, this box although noisy, hasn't run dry on oil to the best of my knowledge and it may well just be noisy bearings. So I could remove this box and get it opened, hope it is the bearings, replace them, chuck on the LSD and we should be all good. However this leaves me without a car, and also there is the risk that the crown wheel and pinion may be no good. So really I want the AOR box fixed and ready to swap back over. Bit of a quandary really. If I could get a decent crown wheel and pinion I would be over the moon!

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

Post subject: Re: Gearbox Update - Help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:54 pm 

Stuart

I just looked in PET2

new is bit on the dear side

AOR pinion and crown wheel, 8:27 016 409 143 AQ £1099.79

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:06 pm 

Thanks Martin. That is a definite "gulp". In some ways though may end up the best way to go as the box would be good as new and they are rocking horse poo it would seem. I assume your research suggests I need the specific crown wheel and pinion for an AOR box? And thus the one in my UY turbo box would be no good?

Thanks

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 pm 

they are listed by Gearbox type and Ratio

ASG, ASH 9:35 -1

AOR 8:27 -1

AOS,AOT,ASV,ASW 8:31 -1

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm 

Thanks Martin. That is indeed what I need. Quick call to OPC and it is NLA! I think I can also gather that I need that exact part so a substitute from another variant would not work as the ratios wrong. Argh!

Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm 

OK we now have a plan. Thanks Simon and Martin for your help! Given that the box wasn't that noisy pre-removal, the cost of a new pinion and crown wheel then the associated pain of setting it all up, I have talked my gearbox man into cleaning up the existing pinion and crown wheel and re-using it. Other than 1st gear, which mine is ok, I've got the rest of the stuff sorted to swap over. So a bit of a leap of faith, but by far the most cost effective option and also keeps the box original. Wish me luck!

There are a plan b and a plan c also but really don't wish to have to put them into action! Plan B is doing the bearings on the UY box and installing the LSD and Plan C is removing the crown and pinion from the UY box and putting into the AOR box. It is the same 8:27 ratio it seems so should be ok. This would also keep things original. Obviously Plan B and Plan C require both boxes out the car at the same time which is not great as its my daily driver.

What a carry on

Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:43 pm 

Well that's the AOR rebuilt and back from the gearbox man. Crown and pinion cleaned up well and gearbox man happy with the outcome. Get it fitted next week hopefully so fingers crossed!

Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 pm 

Gearbox adapters finally arrived today after 5 weeks from D911. Final piece of jigsaw. Box going back in on Monday for moment of truth!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:37 am 

TIPEC membership: 7406
fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:08 pm 

No good. Balls well and truly booted. Suspect crown and pinion to blame. Very noisy. Put 100 miles on it and may have quietened a bit but could be hopeful imagination. Got it back in today, new cooler solution looks fab, also replaced leaky water pump elbow. So now I have no water leak and no gearbox oil leak but a very noisy gearbox. Not happy. Where next? There is an AOR on eBay at £1200 with no history or guarantees. Most likely have to strip the UY box and see if crown wheel and pinion ok then yet another gearbox in and out an rebuild needed. I'm close to breaking point. :shock:

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:17 pm 

So we got the old noisy UY box apart today and it revealed the crown and pinion is mint! What a pleasant surprise! Now just need to remove the AOR again, transplant crown and pinion then refit. Still another few quid in that but the winning post seems to be looming!

Turns out the UY just had goosed bearings to go with its jumpy 2nd gear. Thankfully the crown jewels, sorry crown and pinion, was perfect!

Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:10 pm 

So I have what I hope will be the 2nd last update now! The gearbox is now fully rebuilt for hopefully the last time. Although no popping of corks till its back in the car and is ok! Looks like Monday before my guy can put it back in car.

Anyway I've now got what should be an excellent box made up from my 2 gearboxes. The gear set is mint, the crown and pinion is mint, all the bearings have been renewed with the exception of the pinion bearing which is NLA, so used the best one from my two which is in reasonable nick. We had to use the main casing from the UY box due to scoring inside the AOR casing, but the main casings are identical anyway. I have my new cooler solution sorted and it should never break again and in my opinion its now far better than the original design.

My only slight grumble is that with having to use the UY main casing, the box is obviously marked UY! But it is 100% an AOR box right down to the last nut and bolt. Unfortunately I have not been able to make a 2nd box for a rainy day due to using the crown and pinion, main casing and pinion bearing from the UY box but its eventually turned out to have been a good purchase without which I would not have a complete fixed AOR box! Costs have ended up pretty astronomical, best part of £2k by the time I count cooler parts, gearbox man costs and 3 lots of gearbox in and out labour. All that remains now is to make a coffee table out the scrap AOR main casing!

So fingers crossed all goes well when it's refitted!

Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm 

Well that's the box back in. Pretty happy with it now. Super slick gear change, makes a little noise but fairly sure it's normal transmission stuff, nothing pronounced, screechy or grindy! Little noise on the over run but I'm sure it was always like that. The notch into 2nd is gone and the idle chatter is gone. All the gears seem good and that dreadful crown and pinion racket is away. I'm sure a brand new box would be better but bearing in mind it's essentially a box of 30 year old components I think it's quite good! I'd score it 95% plus. Happy with that. Plus the cooler is much improved and won't break again and there are no leaks at all for the first time I can remember!

Stuart