Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 198  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you do to your 924/944/968 today?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:47 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
MOT passed with a single advisory for a slightly spongy brake pedal :D

CO emissions were up in the 7% region - pass is 4.5% - so we spent 10min on the AFM adjustment using the test machine for feedback. Helpful MOT garage! I've known it was running rich, but haven't had any way of knowing how much I was adjusting it by.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 am 

burned some oil yesterday, drove it hard...damn this is a capable car.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 am 

Fitted New Suspension & brakes at the weekend, just needs Geo and fine tuning now...

R

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:12 pm 

924srr27l wrote:
Fitted New Suspension & brakes at the weekend, just needs Geo and fine tuning now...

R

Great Choice i do lots of business with Donald at Intrax, Superb dampers for the cost, Enjoy,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:48 pm 

trackm3 wrote:
924srr27l wrote:

R

Great Choice i do lots of business with Donald at Intrax, Superb dampers for the cost, Enjoy,

Thanks, good to hear

Yes Intrax has Great service and lots of technical details have been discussed for this bespoke set which includes their Titan Coating and also the ARC anti ride control valves on all 4. Internally on the fronts, external cannisters on the rear

In combo with the corrected Geo wishbones and tie rods I 'm hoping the Handling Improvement will be substantial.

The front spring rates are only 172 Lbs and the rear T bars 220lbs but also with additional 80lb coil springs which only come in to play after an inch of travel due to the helpers being set up open at rest.

I've already fitted and tested the rear dampers which are currently on damping setting 12 from 50!
And I'm set the front damping adjustment at 15 from 40 to start testing with on the road.

R

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 pm 

924srr27l wrote:
trackm3 wrote:
924srr27l wrote:

R

Thanks, good to hear

Yes Intrax has Great service and lots of technical details have been discussed for this bespoke set which includes their Titan Coating and also the ARC anti ride control valves on all 4. Internally on the fronts, external cannisters on the rear

In combo with the corrected Geo wishbones and tie rods I 'm hoping the Handling Improvement will be substantial.

The front spring rates are only 172 Lbs and the rear T bars 220lbs but also with additional 80lb coil springs which only come in to play after an inch of travel due to the helpers being set up open at rest.

I've already fitted and tested the rear dampers which are currently on damping setting 12 from 50!
And I'm set the front damping adjustment at 15 from 40 to start testing with on the road.

R

Lovely Spec for sure, you will love the ARC feature, whats the ride height like if your using rear Torsion bars ? or have you re indexed them ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm 

Quote:
TrackM3 Lovely Spec for sure, you will love the ARC feature, whats the ride height like if your using rear Torsion bars ? or have you re indexed them ?

The Torsion bars are quick release (On car) Hollow Elephant Racing 27mm and the ride height was set a year ago, and I've not only not needed to change it since or do I need it now with the Intrax Set up, because the rear additional coils offer no support until an inch of wheel travel occurs (EG Cornering or squat etc..)

It's always been the front that's needing sorting because of the changed Roll centre from the incorrect wishbone and tie rod angles. The rear has never offered any oversteer ever, not even with 6" wide rims & 195mm narrow tyres! but then it does have almost exactly the same weight on each corner 260kg and an LSD.

It's not really that low compared to the guys that go for the show "stance" look ! but I'll see how it feels and I will have another corner weight set up done soon.

R

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 am 

924srr27l wrote:
Quote:
TrackM3 Lovely Spec for sure, you will love the ARC feature, whats the ride height like if your using rear Torsion bars ? or have you re indexed them ?

The Torsion bars are quick release (On car) Hollow Elephant Racing 27mm and the ride height was set a year ago, and I've not only not needed to change it since or do I need it now with the Intrax Set up, because the rear additional coils offer no support until an inch of wheel travel occurs (EG Cornering or squat etc..)

It's always been the front that's needing sorting because of the changed Roll centre from the incorrect wishbone and tie rod angles. The rear has never offered any oversteer ever, not even with 6" wide rims & 195mm narrow tyres! but then it does have almost exactly the same weight on each corner 260kg and an LSD.

It's not really that low compared to the guys that go for the show "stance" look ! but I'll see how it feels and I will have another corner weight set up done soon.

Sounds like you will have a very tidy handling 924 there, i may look into those Torsion bars, mine is stock but would like it to sit 1.5'' lower allround.

R

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:21 pm 

Yes Elephant Racing USA products are not cheap, but good quality and fit.

The T bars are removable and also their spring plates have finer adjustment
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/944/torsion-bars-for-944/

R

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:09 pm 

924srr27l wrote:
Yes Elephant Racing USA products are not cheap, but good quality and fit.

The T bars are removable and also their spring plates have finer adjustment
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/944/torsion-bars-for-944/

R

Very nice, thanks for the link

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm 

trackm3 wrote:
924srr27l wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like you will have a very tidy handling 924 there, i may look into those Torsion bars, mine is stock but would like it to sit 1.5'' lower allround.

R

OMG ! would be one word to describe the way the car now drives with all of the above fitted, but not even with
the front camber, caster and toe set yet as I'm taking it to Demon Tweeks for that this afternoon.

For a year I've had this feeling that the front even though is very stiff for a road car but still rolls too much and tucks in like
steering a wheelbarrow!

Now I know what I've read about lowering the Transaxle car's and positioning the wishbones and tie rods incorrectly does cause the car to Roll more than standard and the tie rods will "steer" on their on accord when encountering bumps (Bumpsteer)
For those that doubted this, and a lot of car's that are lowered with owners claiming they handle fine I'm 101% confident to
declare this is simple not true.

The reduction in front end body roll is massive! Unyet the new Intrax dampers and 170Lb springs are softer then the previous 190lbs and Bilstein B6 inserts, but now the ARB and wishbones are level and their arc of rotation and movement is as Porsche intended.

The steering is lighter, like it's no longer fighting the car's previous set up the lack of bump steer is a massive improvement and now the car dips and rises with no change or resistance in steering.

The brakes also are performing incredibly well as they now have 5 fully floating pins which allow them to move to the contours of the pad surfaces especially when cornering and the taper wheel bearings that have a small amount of play in them for expansion do not knock the pads off the disc,

Sometimes caliper brackets are often a little out of alignment and cause some inbalances again the discs are free to move with the calipers and not against them.

Anyone that is seriously into Handling on any 24/44/68 needs to consider a revised wishbone and tie rod set up and other components to get the best handling for road or track.

R

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:36 pm 

Fitted new fuel filter and DME chip . thought the fuel filter was gonna cause me problems re clamping fuel hose but I read on rennlist about putting a golf tee in the end of fuel line to stop flow which worked at treat saving any clamping on potential brittle fuel line . DME a bit daunting but if you take your time it's satisfying to do and they do make a difference making the drive smoother

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:58 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
"Now I know what I've read about lowering the Transaxle car's and positioning the wishbones and tie rods incorrectly does cause the car to Roll more than standard and the tie rods will "steer" on their on accord when encountering bumps (Bumpsteer)
For those that doubted this, and a lot of car's that are lowered with owners claiming they handle fine I'm 101% confident to
declare this is simple not true."
Totally agree. My set up is nowhere near as sophisticated as yours. After loads of research on spring rates etc, implemantation by self and setup by CoG the car handles like a dream. I used a lot of Elephant components, Hartech comp wishbones. Paragon Koni coil overs and Lindsey M030 arbs with Racers Edge top mounts. I hate slammed cars they look daft and handle like a bowl of snot.
One of my heroes from the old days is Allan Staniforth (rip) his books are very interesting and informative. A well seasoned racer mate drove the car at Oulton and was most impressed with the car less so with my driving. It was a bit like the Top Gear episode with Jackie Stewart and James May but less polite.

Attachments:
Oulton Park.jpg
Oulton Park.jpg [ 98.21 KiB | Viewed 7821 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:11 pm 

Quote:
924srr27l
Now I know what I've read about lowering the Transaxle car's and positioning the wishbones and tie rods incorrectly does cause the car to Roll more than standard and the tie rods will "steer" on their on accord when encountering bumps (Bumpsteer)
declare this is simple not true."

Quote:
Endoman
Totally agree. My set up is nowhere near as sophisticated as yours. After loads of research on spring rates etc, implemantation by self and setup by CoG the car handles like a dream. I used a lot of Elephant components, Hartech comp wishbones. Paragon Koni coil overs and Lindsey M030 arbs with Racers Edge top mounts. I hate slammed cars they look daft and handle like a bowl of snot.
One of my heroes from the old days is Allan Staniforth (rip) his books are very interesting and informative. A well seasoned racer mate drove the car at Oulton and was most impressed with the car less so with my driving. It was a bit like the Top Gear episode with Jackie Stewart and James May but less polite

Yes, the denial that (lowered ride height car's handled great) without these modifications were to be fair from a select few from Rennlist and a handful from the 924 owners club, also some 944 PCGB forum participants unyet many racers on Rennlist had made the changes and confirmed the improvements.

Ground control list a Shorter strut and raised top mounted top mount both of which will assist using a standard wishbone and having a lowered ride height
and retaining a reasonable wishbone angle, as opposed to the majority of shock and spring offerings from various manufactures.......

R

Last edited by 924srr27l on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:39 pm 

If I remember correctly Chris at CG set my car up an inch lower than factory settings on the KW's, the wishbones were parallel to the ground on his rig. I'm confident he knew what he was doing. He rechecked all settings again after a spirited test drive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 198  Next