Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead battery & car locked!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:10 am 

TIPEC membership: 7868
Ok chaps Here's the situation, the car has not been used for three weeks and it's dead as a dodo. The problem is the car is locked the remote is having no effect and the key is not unlocking the boot and has never operated either door.

Any ideas on how I can get into the car? I'm thinking that if I can get into the cabin, I can get to the battery via the back seat to hook up the charger.........

Help!

Post subject: Re: Dead battery & car locked!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:15 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Don’t know if it’s the same on a 944 but on the 68 you take out the NS indicator and there is a bonnet release cable there

Once the bonnet is open there is a big electrical connection by the wiper motor that you can use to boost the battery and then get into the car

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:42 pm 

If there anything like the front indicators that were on my car they they should crumble away the moment you touch them.

If that fails and I hope it doesn't (please post if you were successful) you could try the flat strip of metal and try and hook the button. These are a very old design after all. Use the internet to get a copy of parts diagram to see how it all links together.

1992 Porsche 944 S2 Cabrio
1975 Triumph Stag
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider S2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:13 pm 

hmmm,, now there's a problem, I think Andy's suggestion of the flat blade may be your best bet...regarding the doors not unlocking via the key, this is a relatively cheap thing to fix. I just bought new plastic parts for my door locks, IIRC the small plastic part that operates the door via key is around £1.30 including VAT. I ordered all 4 plastic rods for both doors for a total price of just over £7...PET will give you the part numbers..

cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:34 am 

PSH wrote:
hmmm,, now there's a problem, I think Andy's suggestion of the flat blade may be your best bet...regarding the doors not unlocking via the key, this is a relatively cheap thing to fix. I just bought new plastic parts for my door locks, IIRC the small plastic part that operates the door via key is around £1.30 including VAT. I ordered all 4 plastic rods for both doors for a total price of just over £7...PET will give you the part numbers..

cheers

Pete

That was cheap for all the connectors. The rod that connects the button to the central locking button on my passenger door has gone. I have new door cards and I was going to replace all the plastic connectors when I fit them.

1975 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:47 am 

Gents, thank you for all the replies and suggestions, it is much appreciated.
I've managed to get in to the car but I'm rather hampered as to what I can do having only one good arm following a very recent operation!
I couldn't see it at the time that I posted but I had left the passenger window partially open, just enough to be able to get something in to pull the lock knob/pin and open the door. That stopped the alarm going off which is what had alerted the neighbour and subsequently me to the problem. However upon shutting the door again, the alarm started going off and due to the battery being so low, the remote was having no effect. I enlisted the help of my taller than me but much slimmer daughter to squeeze into the car via the now openable passenger door-did I mention that the passenger is side is parked tight up to a project motorcycle and you can only open this door about 300mm?! Anyhow, she was able to release the bonnet, my idea being to some how mute the alarm siren with some rag or something. Of course, as usually happens something eklse decided to show its hand and this was to be no exception. Whilst my head and torso were under the bonnet looking at options, that the bonnet struts decided to take a dump on me and I have now been marked by my car with a nice catch shaped mark on my back :roll:
Extracting myself from the jaws of the car, I made use of the delivery tube for the replacement rear glass and bonnet struts that I had bought to fit at a later date and now have a ghetto bonnet prop! whilst writing, does anybody know where to get the correct size adaptors for the bonnet end of the replacement struts? The ones supplied and installed as Porsche 944 s2 fitment are wrong and the alternatives sent are no good either!
It was at this point that I had to leave proceedings due to visitors.

With access at least possible for no.1 daughter, I can perhaps nowt get the battery charger hooked up at some point although I do have one of the Porsche Charge O mat units that supposedly charges through the cigarette lighter socket which is a bit more accessible at this time and would stop the need for having to be a contortionist to access the battery if it works? I seem to remember reading somewhere that not all Porkers can be charged via the lighter socket but for the life of me, I cant recall where I read it or which models it mentioned.

So that is the current state of play, limited access to the car interior, bonnet open and a marked owner!

Thanks again to all who commented and made suggestions, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:03 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5535
Is this an S2 with the battery in the boot?

If so you can open the boot from inside. Lean over the back seat and unbutton the carpet at the rear and it gives you access to the locking mechanism. You can push/pull the end of that (cant remember if its push or pull) on unlock it.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:15 pm 

That's just the plastic connectors Andy the smallest of which connects door lock barrel to the mech, the other main connector which is metal with a plastic cup one end is what connects to the door trigger. IIRC this isn't too dear but I can't remember how much, I seem to recall that it's more than the plastic connectors added together though ..

cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:12 pm 

Do you want me to pop over one day this week and sort some of these issues out for you?

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6489
51rider wrote:
I do have one of the Porsche Charge O mat units that supposedly charges through the cigarette lighter socket which is a bit more accessible at this time and would stop the need for having to be a contortionist to access the battery if it works? I seem to remember reading somewhere that not all Porkers can be charged via the lighter socket but for the life of me, I cant recall where I read it or which models it mentioned.

The 944's cigarette lighter socket is ignition switched. It needs the ignition to be on for it to be live, therefore you can't charge use the charger you describe.

Last edited by GlennS on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm 

PSH wrote:
That's just the plastic connectors Andy the smallest of which connects door lock barrel to the mech, the other main connector which is metal with a plastic cup one end is what connects to the door trigger. IIRC this isn't too dear but I can't remember how much, I seem to recall that it's more than the plastic connectors added together though ..

cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Hate working on door mechanisms. Most of it has to be done by feel and so many sharp edges.

I shall have to make that appointment with the Porsche Parts man (don't ask) to order the parts.

Andy S

1975 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:35 pm 

51rider wrote:
Gents, thank you for all the replies and suggestions, it is much appreciated.
I've managed to get in to the car but I'm rather hampered as to what I can do having only one good arm following a very recent operation!
I couldn't see it at the time that I posted but I had left the passenger window partially open, just enough to be able to get something in to pull the lock knob/pin and open the door. That stopped the alarm going off which is what had alerted the neighbour and subsequently me to the problem. However upon shutting the door again, the alarm started going off and due to the battery being so low, the remote was having no effect. I enlisted the help of my taller than me but much slimmer daughter to squeeze into the car via the now openable passenger door-did I mention that the passenger is side is parked tight up to a project motorcycle and you can only open this door about 300mm?! Anyhow, she was able to release the bonnet, my idea being to some how mute the alarm siren with some rag or something. Of course, as usually happens something eklse decided to show its hand and this was to be no exception. Whilst my head and torso were under the bonnet looking at options, that the bonnet struts decided to take a dump on me and I have now been marked by my car with a nice catch shaped mark on my back :roll:
Extracting myself from the jaws of the car, I made use of the delivery tube for the replacement rear glass and bonnet struts that I had bought to fit at a later date and now have a ghetto bonnet prop! whilst writing, does anybody know where to get the correct size adaptors for the bonnet end of the replacement struts? The ones supplied and installed as Porsche 944 s2 fitment are wrong and the alternatives sent are no good either!
It was at this point that I had to leave proceedings due to visitors.

With access at least possible for no.1 daughter, I can perhaps nowt get the battery charger hooked up at some point although I do have one of the Porsche Charge O mat units that supposedly charges through the cigarette lighter socket which is a bit more accessible at this time and would stop the need for having to be a contortionist to access the battery if it works? I seem to remember reading somewhere that not all Porkers can be charged via the lighter socket but for the life of me, I cant recall where I read it or which models it mentioned.

So that is the current state of play, limited access to the car interior, bonnet open and a marked owner!

Thanks again to all who commented and made suggestions, much appreciated.

1975 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:15 pm 

Waylander wrote:
Do you want me to pop over one day this week and sort some of these issues out for you?

Martin, if you have the time, that would be fantastic- I’ll drop you a pm,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:19 pm 

GlennS wrote:
51rider wrote:
I do have one of the Porsche Charge O mat units that supposedly charges through the cigarette lighter socket which is a bit more accessible at this time and would stop the need for having to be a contortionist to access the battery if it works? I seem to remember reading somewhere that not all Porkers can be charged via the lighter socket but for the life of me, I cant recall where I read it or which models it mentioned.

The 944's cigarette lighter socket is ignition switched. It needs the ignition to be on for it to be live, therefore you can't charge use the charger you describle.

Thank you for this info, guess the charge o mat will be finding a new home soon!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:27 pm 

Gents, thank you all for the continued input I am very grateful to you all.
A visit to my local OPC is on the horizon - once I can drive again that is :roll: