Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatch Problems
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:11 am 

TIPEC membership: 7586
Shortly after replacing the hatch seal I noticed that one side of the hatch wasn't staying shut. After a journey I would find it slightly open. It could be shut again by pressing down hard but could be pulled open again with not much force.

Taking a look with some of the guys at the club meet it seemed that the pin was quite worn and could do with being replaced. I ordered a couple of new ones from my friendly neighbourhood OPC for a little under £10 (not a bad price but then they are just two oddly shaped bolts).
Attachment:
IMG_9159.JPG
IMG_9159.JPG [ 205.87 KiB | Viewed 9827 times ]

A bit of WD40 and the old one came out to be replaced with the new one. The hatch seemed to shut and resisted being pulled open but I thought I would reserve judgement until I had driven the car as I expected it would need some adjustments before it was perfect.
Attachment:
IMG_9160.JPG
IMG_9160.JPG [ 88.05 KiB | Viewed 9827 times ]

Sadly after driving the hatch had come open again on the same side. I figured I might need to remove the latch and give it a clean up. Possibly it even needed replacing (is the worn pin a sign that it was not lined up with the latch and maybe damaged it?).

Anyway I came to check it again but this time I couldn't open the hatch at all! I could hear the werrr of the motor but it was quieter and didn't sound right. Some investigation inside the boot and can see that what I now know is called a bowden cable (like a bicycle brake cable) has snapped where it is attached to the motor. So the motor is turning with the key but the cable is not being pulled to open the latches.
Attachment:
IMG_9158.JPG
IMG_9158.JPG [ 190.81 KiB | Viewed 9827 times ]

I've dropped my OPC an email to find out if this cable is still available. If it isn't I presume this wouldn't be that hard to make, does anyone know where they can be bought or made to measure? Looking at the picture is there also a clip missing from the motor attachment? The cable seems to held on ok but I saw another picture that looked like there was something not on mine.

As well as this I'm not sure my hatch is properly lined up on the car. It seems to be ever so slightly out. Can anyone tell me how to adjust it or point me to some web resource.

Any help would be appreciated. And feel free to update this thread with your own hatch woes.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Hatch Problems
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:28 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
You can make up a cable if they are NLA from parts from your local cycle shop, but I have to ask what is all that red paint dust,

The hatch locks will be full of crap and that old hatch pin was so worn it has possibly damaged the lock, last time I looked the locks were about £60 each

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:45 am 

Hi Waylander, thanks for the advice. I'll get the old cable off and take it to a bike shop depending on what OCP come back with. I'm hoping it won't be a new latch but if that is what's needed, so be it. I will be so happy if the hatch stays down on both sides and opens on the botton.

I suspect the paint dust has got in there whilst it was in the paint shop. It was there all last year waiting to be finished.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:14 pm 

I've now removed the bowden cable but I'm not sure how to take off the bit that attaches to the motor. Any suggestions? I'm also not sure how, if the motor connector and the hook that is on the other end all come attached to a new cable, it can be routed as it needs to be. Am I missing something or do I need to get the cable with the hook but not the motor connector and then have it welded to the one already on my motor? This doesn't seem right, is there something else I need to remove?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:55 pm 

Took the cable to a local cycle shop but, although they were helpful, they couldn't fix it. Ended up getting it all apart with the help of some circlip pliers and bought a new one, about £34 from my local OPC.
Attachment:
IMG_9172.JPG
IMG_9172.JPG [ 181.41 KiB | Viewed 9699 times ]

Fitting it all back together is extremely fiddly and not much fun at all. Now I have hit a problem within the top "hook" which attaches the driver's side latch to the opening mechanism. It was held on by nothing more than a small collar of metal. Couldn't they have threaded it and put a nut on there to make it easy. Now the collar won't grip and keeps popping off when I'm trying to fit it back together.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something else I could use to hold the hook in place? The end is probably a few millimetres diameter.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 pm 

Where abouts are you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:58 pm 

Leeds.

I'm thinking some kind of locking washer like a starlock might be the best bet. Plenty online but I'm not sure where to get them from an actual shop (nothing coming up on all the local hardware stores).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:33 pm 

Lump of blue tack just to hold it still?

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:37 pm 

I'm just in Oakwood and got hatch problems of my own, fancy meeting up and seeing if we can help each other?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:13 am 

When are you free?

I'm hoping I'm not far from sorting mine, if something else doesn't go wrong. There's a club meet 25th if we haven't found a convenient time before then.

So what is wrong with yours anyway?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:20 pm 

I'm free most nights, and all day Monday. My problems started with a broken lever, the bit that connects the motor to the rods, it snapped in two. £45+vat from opc so bought a second hand one from an earlier car which is ever so slightly different and doesn't have the ball bit on the end. I tried a home made fix which failed and made the situation worse as it chewed up the plastic coating on the rods so think I need to replace that too now....probably not too much we can do to help each other but if you fancy meeting up anyway let me know...by the way, did leeds opc have the rods in stock?
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 pm 

Sounds like you're having a worse mare with this than me. From what you describe you're mechanism sounds a bit different to mine. Not sure about rod availability as I didn't need them. If you email they will tell you and usually takes 2 days to get any part that is still available.

I'll pm you about meet up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:56 pm 

After some more fiddling the hatch is now unlocking again. I was pretty chuffed for a moment as it was actually opening an inch on the key without me touching it, stronger gas struts and I'm sure it would open. That didn't last long but the main thing is it now stays shut on both sides (proven by a run) and unlocks on key and button.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:44 pm 

Have a look at these on ebay 371694771809. I have just fitted these to mine today as I noticed the were rated more powerful than some others listed on the ebay. I now have a hatch that opens when I unlock from my remote :bounce:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:00 pm 

Thanks Scott, these look good. Do they carry the current to the heated window (I've seen others that don't)? I was thinking of getting mine regased but these like a good option.