Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cayman S 2006 Clutch Problmes
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:36 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I am new to the forum so Hello, directed to TIPEC by a fellow Porsche owner! I bought a Cayman S about 4 months ago (06 and 55k miles) and it has been fine and great fun. However recently the clutch pedal has started behaving 'oddly'. The symptoms are:-
a) Clutch pedal is leg shakeingly heavy to depress OR
b) Very light to depress in the first half of travel and normal after that but feels like its 'sticking' halfway when it returns OR
c) Normal (well what I would describe as normal!)

For the last couple of weeks its been alternating between the above states and went through all them whilst stuck on the M6 for 2 hours! Brake / clutch fluid level is fine and the clutch is not slipping. Clutch is engaging and disengaging about 1/3 of the way from the floor.

Really just looking for any advice on what the cause of this may?

Any advice very greatly apprecaiated!

Post subject: Re: Cayman S 2006 Clutch Problmes
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:02 am 

TIPEC membership: 7024
I replaced the clutch on my 2006 Cayman S at 58K miles due to the pedal being heavy and what I'd describe as a ratcheting sensation when depressing or releasing the pedal.

It turned out that the release bearing had collapsed and the guide tube that the bearing slides on was very worn. The clutch friction plate appeared to have plenty of life left in it but I replaced it, along with the cover/pressure plate (and flywheel and rear main seal since I was in there) and all was good afterwards.

I also found that the clutch fluid was very dirty and I suspect it had never been changed, even though the brake fluid had been changed every two years. It might be worth changing the fluid first before anything more drastic. It's a bit fiddly to get at the slave cylinder but do-able on axle stands.