Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:45 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking advice on 996 TT purchase
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:18 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Greetings to all,

As a recent buyer of a 928 S2 i have found the use of these forums invaluable. My brother is now considering changing his Ferrari 308 for a 996 Turbo and i was curious to know what kind of things he should look out for. I had a quick look on Pistonheads and quite a few seemed to have been modified, is this of extra concern? All comments and advice gladly received.

RB

Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on 996 TT purchase
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:13 am 

TIPEC membership: 928
RiskyBusiness wrote:
Greetings to all,

As a recent buyer of a 928 S2 i have found the use of these forums invaluable. My brother is now considering changing his Ferrari 308 for a 996 Turbo and i was curious to know what kind of things he should look out for. I had a quick look on Pistonheads and quite a few seemed to have been modified, is this of extra concern? All comments and advice gladly received.

RB

Hi there

I'm not really qualified to give you anything technical about these cars - I just drive and enjoy. However, I've just bought a 996TT and am absolutely entranced by it. The performance is docile to the point of boredom, when you want or need it to be but, give it a little encouragement (not much!) and OMG - the volcano erupts.

Mine wasn't modified other than factory fitted mods etc. but I understant there is a pack one can add called the 'X50 Pack' which adds some horsies to this already crazy car. I probably won't add the pack just yet because the car is just super powerful enough for me but it's horses for courses (pun intended) I guess.

I understand also that there are none of the problems with the 996TT engine which are associated with the standard 996 but once again, there are others here who will enlighten you on this topic.

Whichever way your brother goes, I'm pretty sure he'll thoroughly enjoy the TT - it's a fabulous car in every respect.

All the best
Chris

2002 996 Turbo in Lapis Blue
1992 928 GTS Manual in Guards Red
2004 987 Boxster 550 in GT Silver

Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on 996 TT purchase
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:36 pm 

As Chris says, the 996 Turbo is pretty bulletproof..

What sort of modifications are we talking about?... I'm aware many that have exhausts and chipping done..The engine does seem to be very tuneable even up a few 100 bhp...!
But longivity may/could be effected that for out!

garyw