Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT 996 FITTING MIDLANDS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:38 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi, Can anyone recommend a independent Porsche garage in the Stafford , North Staffs or west midlands area to fit a low temp thermostat to my 996 c4

many thanks Iain

Post subject: Re: LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT 996 FITTING MIDLANDS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:25 pm 

Hi there,
in absence of any other replies, I cannot help with a recommended fitter in your area. What I can say is that it should be a trivial task for a trained mech and even easy enough for a enthusiastic DIY-er. With that in mind, I chose to take mine to the garage owned by a friend of the family. I've known them for decades, but to a lot they are simply a trusted village workshop, I do trust them hugely as far as skills, knowledge and ability go, and I have seen lots of tractors, landys, classics as far back as Austin Chummys, and Ferrari's there. Not bad for a tiny E. Mids rural village. I paid less to have the part fitted than I did for the part.

Make sure you are confident about what coolant has been in the car, it should be factory standard and on the 997.1 it is supposed to last the lifetime of the car. If there is no evidence in the cars service history/receipts of a coolant being bought or changed, that *might* indicate that you are running on the original factory coolant, it is what i would deduce for my own decision, but not a decision I can make for you, so you do need to be mindful of it and be confident that it is either original or has been topped up or replaced as per original spec. This is because mixing types of coolant that should not be mixed can be fatal to engines I am led to believe. Luckily for me, I knew my car's history and that it was 100% Porsche, so I bought Porsche coolant for the mechanics to use after they had done my LTT.

I'm glad I did, it cost me about £100 (all in) I think, and I never think about it anymore, until times like this and I think "oh yes, I'm glad I did that".

Post subject: Re: LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT 996 FITTING MIDLANDS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:36 am 

A good guide is here:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=65932&highlight=ltt