Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:58 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Leak, but could it be RMS? I'm really not sure....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:55 pm 

Evening all,

New to the site and new to the club, fairly new to Porsche ownership too so hoping it's going to help me ! ! Had a fantastic day at Brands Hatch today. Did my first track day in my 1998 996 C2. Thoroughly enjoyed it, drove well, had good instruction and even managed to get past another 911 and a Lotus Elise. Very please wil myself.

Not so pleased with myself however when I drove back to my garage and noticed a knocking noise coming from the left hand side of the engine. The noise was worse if I bent down beside the nearside rear wheel. It's sounded either mettalic or possibly the sort of noise you get on an exhause manifold leak. Oil pressure fine, oil level fine all things checked out lovely. Until ! ! OIL ! ! I noticed a small puddle gathering on the floor. It drips down to the left hand side of the engine, just behind the nearside rear wheel and then again about 6 inches closer to the centre of the car, still on the left though not at the centre. There always was some dampness on and around an indented nut or plug of some sort and if fear it has now developed into a leak. My car is a Tip and although it's entirely possible, the RMS is a less common problem with Tips. I have driven the car hard many times. I use it every day to drive to work in the City (64 mile round trip) but it just so happened that something went at the track today.

I switched off the engine, allowed it to cool somewhat and then decided to head home and do some research. Haven't found anything yet that really sounds like my symptoms. On a brighter note however, the engine knocking noise had stopped when I restarted the car and was still quiet after a nice relaxing law abiding drive home. Hydraulic lifter oil starvation? RMS? According to Parr (where it was last serviced) they did alert the previous owner of an oil breather pipe on the left of the engine that needed replacing. But was that left looking backward or left looking forward? I will find out tomorrow. In the meantime can anyone help or advise from past experience or knowledge of their own? I'm expecting a large bill of some kind but with the engine knocking like that and the oil leak I would like to know what it could be before someone tries to baffle me with "it could be's" and bills me for the privilledge. If I had damaged something I would expect the engine to continually knock, I could have blown an exhaust box, they do look tired. Are there any issues with oil starvation? I have had to put 1/8 litre of oil in in today to take the level up to where it was before I hit the track but have seen no oil pressure warnings or even poor readings at the gauge. It reads about 2 bar on idle when hot and 4 1/2 bar when cruising with an engine speed of about 1500rpm so looks healthy enough from it's readings. The right hand side of the engine seems fine.

Any help would be appreciated. If there are any members on here that can recommend a good indy in Kent it will be appreciated too, especially one that offers discount with club membership ! !

Many thanks for your time.

LeeRoy.

Attachments:
Porsche 911 (996).jpg
Porsche 911 (996).jpg [ 24.02 KiB | Viewed 6131 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Oil Leak, but could it be RMS? I'm really not sure....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 4746
Welcome to the forums - sorry to hear of your troubles :( Hopefully, someone can advise...

ARO Southern
Website & Forum Admin
1991 944 S2 black/grey
1986 944 Lux red/black

JOIN THE CLUB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
welcome aboard, sorry to hear of your woes, i'm sure someone will be along soon with an answer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:22 am 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Hi Lee & Welcome :wave:

Hard use can often show up leaks like this, it's a combination of higher cornering forces & also the higher temps being reached.
TBH the only way to properly investigate is with it up on a ramp.

As for an indy in Kent, I know of lots but not one I'd recommend, I'd have a chat with Aaron Thmpson at OPC Tonbridge & see what they say. Yes they give discount on parts & labour & they can be trusted.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:10 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
any outcome on the above ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:10 pm 

Yes, the outcome was the oil Separator bellows pipe that had a hole in it. Engine out job for a Tiptronic 996. Had the engine flushed and oil/filter replaced too. Still having some knocking coming from the left bank whenever it feels like it though. Oil pressure fine, new oil, no leaks and not even happening when driven hard. Sometimes it is all smooth and normal, sometimes it will knock for a minute or so. There is either a starvation or a dodgy lifter in there somewhere in my opinion. If anyone else has any idea I would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:55 pm 

lmurthwaite wrote:
Yes, the outcome was the oil Separator bellows pipe that had a hole in it. Engine out job for a Tiptronic 996. Had the engine flushed and oil/filter replaced too. Still having some knocking coming from the left bank whenever it feels like it though. Oil pressure fine, new oil, no leaks and not even happening when driven hard. Sometimes it is all smooth and normal, sometimes it will knock for a minute or so. There is either a starvation or a dodgy lifter in there somewhere in my opinion. If anyone else has any idea I would appreciate it.

Hello

Not quite true for the bellows on a tiptronic we have done them in situ before with out removing the engine...

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:07 pm 

That's useful to know. Whereabouts are you? Obviously the last place I used was not man enough for the job and took my money instead.