Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:52 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternator gone, what to do?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 am 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I was out for a drive in the sun yesterday and got a battery warning the dash. 60 seconds later PSM, PCM, ABS and airbags all failed. So, what to do? I've been told it is any easy DIY. I need to get the alternator off, as I've been told it might actually be the voltage regulator and not the actual alternator. So, anyway, as it's a bank holiday I'll get all the info together and decide what to do tomorrow when I can get prices.

Current alternator part number, 996.603.012.02 Bosch number 0 124 515 073. Now that is a 120 amp unit and apparently Porsche recommend the new 150 amp unit part number 997.603.012.07. I'll get cost tomorrow.

The voltage regulator part number is F 00M 145 350 and is available from Bosch distributors. I'll get costs tomorrow.

I know this doesn't help anyone just now, but it helps me collate all I need to help get prices tomorrow. :D

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

Post subject: Re: Alternator gone, what to do?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:58 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6839
Lee check the battery first, put it on charge and see if the condition is ok, I had a problem like this last year and it turned out to be the battery

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:17 pm 

N6TCG wrote:
Lee check the battery first, put it on charge and see if the condition is ok, I had a problem like this last year and it turned out to be the battery

It's a brand new Bosch battery and full charged. It's got a 5 year warranty so if it's got a problem I'll be straight back to Halfauds. :D

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6839
Stick it on a multi meter, to see what the output is and it stays a constant level,

then turn on all the electric stuff, headlights on main beam, heated seats etc. See what the drop in voltage is, turn it all off to see is the voltage returns. If the level stays dropped then the voltage regulator is toast.

Either item are quite rare to fail.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:30 pm 

Battery appears good, dash warning says "generator fault" which is keeping me pointing at the alternator. I think I'm going to buy another and then get my old one re-furbished? There are other tales on various forums of the cable from the starter to the alternator which can corrode, so that'll be next. :?

2003 996TT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm 

Voltage regulator replaced, part number F 00M 144 136 - 395. Car is now running well. After a day in the sunshine, I'll be having a beer and watching the F1. :D

2003 996TT