Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:31 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 911 carrera 2 or turbo??
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
im looking to get into a 911 by the end of the year. i have always had my heart set on a turbo, but im starting to think about a c2 instead and just wanted your thoughts?

im after a car that i can use on the road, and for a few trackdays a year. a car to use evenings and weekends etc, i would have a daily driver aswell.

the turbo stands out to me due to its pure pace and the fact its a porsche 911 turbo lol. although i know a few friends with the turbo, and they say its to clinical, to capable, and to fast to enjoy on the road. they also say that the car is quite heavy, and the 4wd reigns in the fun quite a lot when on track, aswell as being heavy on brakes and tyres.

the reasoning above is why im starting to consider a c2 instead? im thinking it might be easier to enjoy and drive quickly on the road due to the fact its not so powerful and can be driven quickly on the road without doing stupid speeds, and the 2wd providing more fun and driver skill knowing the 4wd isnt there to help you out.

im thinking of looking for a cheaper c2, and removing some excess weight, fitting some decent suspension and brakes, rear cage etc, and aiming for a gt3 sort of car that can be used on road and on track and enjoyed on both.

if i had the funds i would just buy a gt3, but thats not an option really, so i thought a c2 could be made as similar as possible to a gt3 without going mad.

what parts are available for the c2 that could be fitted to bring toward a gt3 spec? suspension, arms, anti rollbars etc??

the other thing that really is a big part of any car i own is the noise it makes. a turbo sounds pretty boring, whereas the carrera can be made to sound pretty awsome with induction and exhaust mods.

i have always been a fan of big power cars, but im starting to think its not all about power, after driving a few lightweight cars that have been very well setup with average power, they can be a right laugh, and thhe bonus with the c2 is the running costs are probably half that of a turbo aswell? (unless it needs an engine rebuild lol)

thoughts? basically to summarise, whats the better option, a nice 996 turbo for weekend fun and a few trackdays, or a 996 c2 with suspension and brake mods, half cage etc?

many thanks
nick

Post subject: Re: 911 carrera 2 or turbo??
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
Here we go again :lol:

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 996
The C2 is more car than you will ever need on the road, makes a great sound too. I had one for 7 years and never really wanted for more power and as others will tell you I do like to press on.

Bonus of the turbo is the Mezger based engine which is said to be bombproof without the issues the standard block suffers with.

Drive both, see which you like, you pay your money and take your choice, no-one else can decide for you!

2013 Panamera Platinum Diesel, White
Sold April 2013 2009 997 C2S Gen2, Arctic Silver
Sold Aug 2010 2002 996 Carrera, Polar Silver
Sold May 2004 2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:48 pm 

Hi,
Once you've had a go at a turbo nothing else will do!
I've driven one or two and in a straight line they are quite stunning. The output is something you would have to work hard to reach in a 944 and even then you are using 20+ year old dynamics.
I'm sure the na 996 engines aren't as bad as it seems but after conversations with a couple of people who know what they are talking about I wouldn't buy one I'm afraid.
Add to that 325 bhp for a 3.6 is 944 territory and it needs to be a turbo.
You can have the silver and grey ones I want a colour!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:21 am 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I think the Turbo is a better car, but I would say that sitting here with a remapped 520 bhp one wouldn't I. But quite simply put, the I difference is the C2 is rear wheel drive and the Turbo is 4 wheel drive. If you want to set lap records, the Turbo. If you want to have fun, the C2. Each has their own points to be looked for on an inspection, but if you get the right one........happy days. :D

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm 

Whatever you choose to buy, I really suggest you have a through independent inspection done on it including borescope camera inspection, cylinder compression test etc. It really is worth the money. I've used GT One and Wrighttune for such inspections in the past and walked away from cars due to defects they have found.

If the inspection isn't anything more than a walk around and a test drive then it isn't an inspection in my book as it's not going to tell you much that you couldn't see or hear for yourself. In my opinion the car needs to be up on a ramp and someone who knows how to do these inspections needs half a day or more to really get into it.

The 2 named independents above or JMG, Hartech etc can all do comprehensive inspections, as can OPC's but do check that whoever does it will do the borescope camera inspection to check for scoring. Whilst any inspection is only a snapshot of the vehicle at the time of inspection, it really is worth paying for.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:37 pm 

to add the suspension bits to a c2 to transform it to a gt3 setup would be mad
mega bucks

might as well buy a gt3 !

I'd go turbo, simply to get the mezger engine;
they are not totally foolproof, but have a lot less issues than the std c2 engine
(main one I can think of off the top of my head is blowing coolant pipes from the block)

a C2 is fast enough for the roads, but the turbo power delivery is much more of a wall lower down - very satisfying

dme print out looking for over revs would be on my check list

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:33 pm 

Paul's post is pretty spot-on.

I've had both 996 TT and C2 (3.6) and I prefer the C2 myself; it has better steering, more immediacy in handling and pick-up and is narrower (handy where I live). Light, nimble involving, quick enough. Obviously the engine issues are a worry, but most will have been sorted by now (or broken, if not), so just put good oil in every year at worst. Engine sounds fantastic with PSE.

For me, the 996TT was a one-track pony on public roads: massive torque-y acceleration. Quite a bruiser, too. Wide, understeery and only really involving at <ahem> unfortunate speeds. Engine noise almost entirely induction roar (or tyre roar, of which there is plenty).

A Mezger-engined C2 would be the ideal......maybe that's why they (GT3s) are so expensive ;-)

As Paul says, try them both; only way to know.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:40 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6788
Why would you go for a 996 c2 (unless its an aesthetic decision). If your budget is enough for a turbo then you should be weighing it up against a 997 C2.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:05 am 

997 is not as "raw" as a 996 and a C2 is lot more delicate than a turbo.

Some prefer it that way.

Newer is not always better.