Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:17 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering clunk/knock at low speed. (when warm!)
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:20 pm 

Got a 996 C4 manual. When I have been driving it for more than 30 minutes of so...at least that maybe more like 45...then when driving slow in traffic the steeing seems to be a bit rattly/clunky ? The steering works fine and there is no clunk when you are above about 5-10 MPH. So..all i can think is its related to the fluid in the power steering waming up...I have checked the levels..if anything its too full...maybe thats the issue ?

Any thoughts ? I have checked all the bits I can get to and nothing seems warn like track rod ends...its in for an Engine oil change Monday so any steer (excuse the pun) I can give the guys would help...

Thanks in advance....Since posting I found this...not sure I am any nearer as the ARB droplinks have been replaced.
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=43 ... a9ccc70286

still investigating......

99 911 carrera 4, 87 VW Cab

Post subject: Re: Steering clunk/knock at low speed. (when warm!)
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 996
The lower control arms are a regular problem, you can get exchange ones from hartech which I did.

With my car it was more of a squeaky noise than knocking for me so worth investigating before you spend the money. It also happened once the car warmed up and was only heard at lower speeds.

2013 Panamera Platinum Diesel, White
Sold April 2013 2009 997 C2S Gen2, Arctic Silver
Sold Aug 2010 2002 996 Carrera, Polar Silver
Sold May 2004 2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:34 pm 

Sorted .....by a couple a forked control arms on the front. I used Hartech recon ones as I live local and fancied saving £50.

Drives like a new car !!!

If you are doing this yourself be warned all the bolts are funny sizes 18 mm & 16 MM (maybe all the heads on Porsches are none standard) ...might not be in your standard socket set. Shame to get the car in the air and find you ain't got the tool.

I bought a couple of impact driver sockets ! a proper mans socket. Lets just say they will outlast me !...I broke 2 old cheap sockets at the same time and decided enough was enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:29 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
The ones on the 944 are weird, one of them is 18mm & that isn't in most spanner sets. Luckily the inlaws bought me a Halford Pro spanner tray which does have it! A man can NEVER have too many tools :lol:

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:06 pm 

Dear all. Will share my thoughts on phase 2. So I fixed the wobble steering and some clunks but after a long drive it was still not right. So...lower control arms ..the one with the ball joint at the bottom of the strut.

Due to cost and fact that all looked well decided to change the middle bush (the one where the diagonal tuning fork control bars fit). Got some Powerflex bushes and set about the upgarde. After a lot of messing on one side realised actually quite easy. Jack up take wheel off. Undo large bolt that holds the diagnoal control bar and swing out of the way.

The bush is a large aluminium centre, bit of rubber then a casing or sheell that is pressed into teh control arm.

I trashed the rubber with a electric jig saw !..then nicked the alumium casing with the same saw. Bit of careful work with chisel and the old ones out. Pushed the new one in with the trolley jack and a few tapers of wood to get a good line up.

Sorted. definatley does the job and for a lot less that 2 new control arms. Also I judged after some messing that the ball joint will be hard to free and is best left alone!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:14 am 

Dear All, Now sorted. Last parts needed were innner track rods..inside the boots on the steering rack..its all here in gory detail....

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.ph ... l=steering

apparently when they get warm they effectively sieze up so clunk the rack instaed of moving like they should. I am guessing that untreated they won't do the rack any good !

I now know more about 996 front suspension than is healthy.

Car is now much better on the front end...and too be fair not a vast amount of expense.