Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:49 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: windscreen replacement
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:10 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
Hi guys,

any one had a new screen in a LHD airbag 993? :?

Post subject: Re: windscreen replacement
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:28 am 

TIPEC membership: 4754
Wot u wana know?
I work for autoglass, iam well up on automotive galzing.

My 64 has a 993 screen, wot year is the 93?
Who u goin to use to repace it?
I hope your ins company r goin to pay, my screen was £300+to buy (trade price and i argued bout that). The list porsche price is over a grand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:12 am 

Hi Russ, well a bit of a long tale...............my screen was showing signs of its age, lots of chips, bits of delamination in a couple of lower edges etc, made the decision to replace it, talked it over with a few guys elseware and with my insurers, and the concensus was that the insurance company prefered me to fit a dealer screen, they had had several horror stories about fitting screens in 993's. Some people had had the fitters on their cars up to 3 times before they had a screen they were happy with ! so the insurance co said we prefr the dealer screen (despite as you rightly say the huge difference in price)it was found several of the generic screens were defective , some being 3-4 mm smaller and creaking , leaking etc. Anyway the PC i know told me they use Auto windscreens and have never had any probs, and the guy who fits for them has done lots of Porsche screens now.As I live quite a way from them I spoke with the local branch and told them all this, they said they had also fitted many Porsche screens. When I took the car in the fitter said that he was unhappy about fitting a screen in my car because he did not know how to access the antenna signal booster(screen has built in antenna)to unplug and reconnect the antenna, he said it was no problem on a RHD car because you can reach it behind the clock?but on my car LHD if you take out the glove box there is all the airbag stuff and he did not want to go in there, It was last Saturday morning so getting any tech info quickly was impossible,so we postponed, after several conflicting sets of instructions , including the official workshop method, I decided I would take it to the PC , because their local fitter was relaxed and expierienced about doing it, I also booked a service for the car, so the whole job will be at the PC in early Jan. Told you it was a long story. For what its worth, I think it needs the top half of the dash taking out , and the booster will be accessed easily then? :? :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:36 am 

TIPEC membership: 4754
Yeah ur bob on, you just take the dash top off left hookers. About 10 screws i think, and it just comes off, dead easy.
Sounds like you have every thing in hand.
Sum copy glass is smaller, but sum are the same as the branded glass just minus the porsche badge.
My screen isnt an OE part but is made by the same manafac as the OE screen, so it fits perfect, no creakin, windnoise, or leaks.
Any probs let me know and ill do my best to help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:49 pm 

964russ wrote:
Yeah ur bob on, you just take the dash top off left hookers. About 10 screws i think, and it just comes off, dead easy.
Sounds like you have every thing in hand.
Sum copy glass is smaller, but sum are the same as the branded glass just minus the porsche badge.
My screen isnt an OE part but is made by the same manafac as the OE screen, so it fits perfect, no creakin, windnoise, or leaks.
Any probs let me know and ill do my best to help.

cheers Russ, happy christmas :)