Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: any opinions on this
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:52 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7440
don't know if anyone has seen this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272045264502? ... EBIDX%3AIT
i guess it wouldn't be too difficult to obtain the necessary metalwork to reinstate the targa top??, but would it be structurally feasible to reinstate it? (The car would presumably have plenty of rust, but thats a given)......Adrian

Post subject: Re: any opinions on this
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
looks a helluva project that, you would have to have a real good close look over it! good luck if you decide to :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:33 pm 

Hi Adrian :)

I personally wouldnt worry about the top, as anything is possible ( I once helped someone put a 7 ltr V8 into an old Fiat 500...i kid you not..lol)

What would worry me is the NON RUNNER engine....that could easily cost you 20k PLUS to rebuild if it has serious problems...plus when sellers make comments like its only the wiring under the dash stopping it starting ..they are LYING ...as a decent auto electrician could fix that in a few hours...then it would be worth a HUGE amount more...so why didnt they do it ?

I wouldnt walk away from that I would RUN....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7440
thanks for that.... i know very little about 911's, so where is the big money in restoring a non-running engine? cracked block? or crank? (i do all my own engine building)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:19 pm 

Adrian wrote:
thanks for that.... i know very little about 911's, so where is the big money in restoring a non-running engine? cracked block? or crank? (i do all my own engine building)

Hi :)

I know little about old 911 engines apart from two things...they are short 2 cylinders lol, and they are expensive to rebuild....

Easy way to roughly find out the cost though , is to look for the price of even a second hand running engine for that model....then double or treble it for a pro rebuild.... :(

My GUESS would be between 5 and fifteen thousand, but i may be wrong.

Other 911 owners will have a better idea I would think ??? Anyone ?

All the best Brett :)