Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Keeping Cool
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:40 pm 

Managed to talk Mrs C into a road trip to Stuttgart - leaving tomorrow. Trouble is she looked at the weather last night and whilst it was bright and predominantly sunny the temps were not good – like -4 and -6 minimums!

I’m alright cos the thought of a factory tour and a look round the museum will keep me warm – and Sarah should be fine as she is looking forward to the Stuttgart Christmas Market and buying all sorts of gifts (don’t think she has realised there is NO room in the 911 for extra luggage!)

I’ve managed to convince her that there wont be any problem and the heating in the 911 will keep us warm. So if any of you guys speak to Sarah today or tomorrow please confirm that air cooled 911s have great heating systems and that you are sure I will know exactly how to use it, everything will be fine and there really is no need to go in a BMW with climate a/c

Anyway – car fuelled up. You feel like you’ve bin robbed every time you fill up now – or that there must be a hole in the tank somewhere. Got £83 in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:06 pm 

Enjoy the trip Pal

Take lots of pics to show us on club night :D

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:08 pm 

So how was the trip???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:59 pm 

Absolutely fabulous pal. Even Mrs C enjoyed the factory tour and walking round the (small) museum. It was good to see the new museum being worked on – wow, that is gunna be some building never mind the displays inside it!

Porsche Centre Stuttgart was massive – good to see the cars lined up for service in the car park. 964, 993, 928 etc then a dirty and obviously well used CGT!!

Our hotel was just 100m from Porsche Werks 1 which was kinda cool.

Really enjoyed the drive there and the car performed without missing a beat.

As a matter of interest,
We travelled down to Dover on the Monday evening, stayed at a Travel Lodge and got a ferry at 8am next day

Spent Tuesday driving across a few countries arriving in Stuttgart in the evening – then got lost for two hours trying to find the hotel!! (didn’t realise it was quite so close to Porsche)

Wednesday morning had a (pre-booked) tour of the factory (about 2 hours long) and looked at the displays in the museum. After a light lunch we went inside Porsche Centre Stuttgart – which is massive and has three floors but there was not many cars on display. That evening we went in to Stuttgart town centre and had dinner.

Thursday we went in to Stuttgart town centre again and stayed to enjoy the opening of the Christmas Market. We were gunna eat drink and be merry in the market as there was so much to eat and drink – but it was freezing so we found a restaurant where we could warm up and enjoy dinner.

Friday was a trip back across countries to catch a ferry then we drove straight home.

I have to say, having driven the 911 nearly 700 miles on one day with only a couple of short breaks and of course a couple of hours off to cross the channel, the Porsche really is a superb GT. Total miles was just under 1500 and I enjoyed every minute of it (that’s not true – we spent a lot of time lost in and around Stuttgart!!)

If you’re interested here are the costs;
Travel Lodge on way down - £26
Ferry Crossing (Norfolk) - £38
Hotel inc Breakfast - £156
Fuel - £275

The 911 averaged 22/23 mpg which I think is OK considering that we were travelling 125/130mph some of the time and 90/100mph a lot of the time.

Oh – and the Christmas market was good as well!!

Paul – we will have to do the trip with the region maybe next year or maybe wait ‘til the new museum is open

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
sounds like a good time was had, glad you enjoyed the trip and the car perfomed well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:16 am 

Sounds very cool. :)

2009 Vauxhall Insignia!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:10 pm 

Glad to hear you had a fine trip

Sounds like that's another two items to fit into the programme for 2008 / 2009 when Paul and I meet up to sort out the programme of events

First item a slide / picture show at the Red Lion with Bratwurst and Sauerkraut!!

Second item a trip to Stuttgart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:35 pm 

Definately think its worth considering a club trip :thumbleft: We'll talk about it in the New Year at Club Night.

:D