It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:28 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 964 Engine build
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:03 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5059
Hi
Cylinder head sourced
All assembled now and runs well , Still got a minor leak which I am sure is only a joint or rocker box but yet to investigate
but not hissing out as before

Regards
John F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:59 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
john f wrote:
Hi
Cylinder head sourced
All assembled now and runs well , Still got a minor leak which I am sure is only a joint or rocker box but yet to investigate

Regards
John F

Good one- glad that's sorted!

Somebody posted a link for me to read, on Hartech's (Bolton) website- it says there that even 964's that have had an engine rebuild can continue to drop a bit of oil- it's just the way some of the seals have been designed, apparently. Fingers crossed yours has been fully addressed now, and you can get back to the serious business of enjoying the car!!

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:02 pm 

P.s.- I've posted a pic on the thread "964 Pre purchase advice", of the oil that was dropped at the OPC centre while it was up on the ramp over the period of 4 days. Does that seem a lot to you, John?

Thanks,
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:24 pm 

Steve
Ref picture

I notice that the car is high in the air therefore the oil splat will be over a bigger area
It does seem that these cars weep oil .
I remember when I bought my 964 11 years ago with 50,000 mls and a bone dry engine
I left it standing for a month and oil dripped out of the timing chain rubber gaskets , I was horrified , but when I started to use the car the leaks stopped
Seals do harden up though , when I last had the engine out I changed the crankshaft oil seal rms and the power steering oil seal of which the latter shattered on removal because it had become brittle
I think with these cars if it leaks but doesn't smell of burnt oil on the exhaust etc and its not wrecking you beautiful tarmac drive Live with it . The other option is to spend many thousands on a build and I bet it will still weep !
If you have decent oil pressure and your not burning oil out of the exhaust I suggest use the car It may improve ??

John F

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 pm 

Thanks John.

Advice i've had from guys at the TIPEC meetings is that it's worse leaving these cars sitting around doing nothing, just as you say. The car shown is a 1990, and has only 86,000 so has done plenty of sitting around! I'm planning to pick it up tomorrow from Hayes. I've sorted classic insurance, limited to 3,000 miles and plan to use every single mile!

I've budgeted for some seal replacements, so will keep an eye on that aspect of these forums, and hope that with the car (which has on some occasions only done a few miles between MOT's) behaves itself where oil is concerned!

Thanks a lot for the advice!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:04 pm 

you will love it
I don't know if you have owned a 964 before but you will find the driving concept is different to your modern car It took me a few miles to learn to drive mine but then I becomes second nature and you will be throwing it around like a golf gti but clearing a bit more ground in the process

Enjoy it , mine is now a member of the family

John F

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 pm 

Hi John F,

Just to let you know that i took the plunge and bought the 964! I've had it 2 weeks today, and have been playing out with it at every opportunity (hence going quiet on this forum!)

I had a 924 a while ago, and have yearned for a 911 ever since, so i have now, finally, achieved my dream! I had no idea how awesome the car was going to be!! I really really love it to bits!

Many thanks for the help and advice you (and the others) have given me, and i hope to catch you on the forums soon.

Steve, a very happy new 964 owner :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:10 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
steve 1973 wrote:
P.s.- I've posted a pic on the thread "964 Pre purchase advice", of the oil that was dropped at the OPC centre while it was up on the ramp over the period of 4 days. Does that seem a lot to you, John?

Thanks,
Steve

sometimes the oil 'seepage' on some of the older 911's is because of the oil used, up until fairly recently Porsche were suggesting that 0w40 oil was to be used in all cars,that suggestion seemed not to take into account that all the aircooled cars are now at least 15years old, and have covered, in some cases 100 thousand miles plus. I suggest you look at the many posts on lots of forum concerning oil leaks/consumption on aircooled cars, and ensure you fill your car along those lines when next serviced.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 pm 

Hi, thanks for your reply. There's so much to read, and have started to wade through the info. Hartech's site (as recommended by someone on this forum) was especially interesting- it would appear that even engines that have recently been rebuilt can still seep oil, due to how the seals etc have been designed!
Your info is very timely! I've just had the oil and filter replaced at Porsche Centre Bolton 2 days ago, and the invoice stated 0w40 oil had been used. Do you think a different rating would have been better?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:26 pm 

yep, for sure. I have found a 10w40, and more recently, even better a 15w50 to suit these engines very well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:47 pm 

Which brand would you go for?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:20 pm 

Am filling with Fuchs Titan Race Pro R 15w50 this time, as it is difficult to find the Mobil1 15w50 I had been using for a couple of years. I am told the Fuchs/Silkolene product is an even better oil than the mobil, it is a full ester based oil, the only possible downside is a slightly lower ZDDP content. The upside is that it is red, which means it is easier to see on your dipstick :D If you want very good oil info and decent prices, talk to Guy at Opie oils, very much an oil guru, a 928 owner and Tipec member(I think,if not soon) if you use them wait for their promo's, and use your Tipec members discount :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:29 am 

That's great advice- thanks very much Sam!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:22 pm 

john f wrote:
Hi
Cylinder head sourced

Regards
John F

Had to take the 964 off the road again
knocking on hot idle
sounds like wrist pin knock
also when i removed the alternator i noticed seepage residue between a cylinder head and pot
yet to investigate

John F