Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:19 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 964 re furb
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:10 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6023
Hi guys, got the 964 booked in for a full re spray ex the roof on jan 31st, so started to strip her down today. Ive encountered the usual problems today trying to take off the front bumper as the screws that go up through the bumper, rubber and wing next to the wheelarch are totally stuck solid, will be having another go at these tomorrow. My current worry is this, i was led to believe i would be able to pop the rear quarter windows out from the car with the glass and trim attached but my manual says the rubbers are glued in place and need to be cut out. Is this so, cos i wanted to re-use these to save buying new ones and also money as i'm getting married in march and shouldnt really be spending money on my beloved,thats the car by the way. Also i will be removing the windscreen for the scuttle repair and fitting a new screen rubber, does the screen require cutting out with a special tool or can it be removed in another way? if anyone out there has removed these your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Ian

ps i will post some pictures of the work in progress when i work out how to do it !!

Post subject: Re: 964 re furb
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4754
Ive just had my porka painted and removed all the bits myself, inc the windows.
The rear quarter glass, just push like mad from the inside and lip the rubber in a corner (near the front edge) and they will pop out. they are small so mega strong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:37 pm 

cheers mate, got the front bumper, wipers, front and rear lights off today, also got the drivers rear quarter out mega easy but the pass side wouldnt move at all, it seemed as though the drivers side wasnt bonded in but the passenger side is? i will try again tomorrow with more force.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm 

The glass that wont budge has probably not been out before, they get tight with time, the rubber shrinks and dosnt flex.
The screen is the same idea as the quarter, but its lami glass not toughened like the quarters, so is fragile.
If its not got the glue on the rubber it will push out same as b4, but you have to be very carefull, get a friend to push from inside and then lip the rubber slowly along, use a big flat screwy.
The glue was used sparingly from factory so it probably wont bother you, if its a replacement glass then it will come out nice and easy, but if OE then may be a bitch, the foreign 64,s from the US or japan have more glue to help with safety regs (airbags,ect).
Not finished yet :roll: , theres allso the aerial wire thats behind the dash, if RHD you can remove the clock to access this or remove the dash top.
If it wont move may be worth cutting the rubber off the glass with sharp stanley blade, new rubber £40 new screen £600 OE part, £200 copy (copy may be same make as OE with out porsche brand, but sum copys are poo and dont fit, there to small and leak!)
And if the screen is damaged in anyway, small stone chip,de-lam it will be weak and will probably break during removal or refitting anyway!
Wow that the longest reply ever :D !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:32 am 

TIPEC membership: 4098
Sorry to intrude but here is a tip that might help.

Rubber can get hard when it's cold (oh-er Mrs!). Tip is to warm it up. In this weather, perhaps put a convection heater on it for a while before attempting to shift it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:43 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5033
A member down south negotiated with his insurance company. They agreed that the old windscreen was pitted and had one stone chip therefore replaced under his insurance policy. Might be worth a try.

'82 944

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:59 pm 

The warm up comment is bob on, the rubber will be more supple if warm. But so will the glass, and warm glass is as bad as cold glass. Any extreme of temp is bad, you wana sumwhere inbetween.
The old insurance claim is probably the better option.
New screen and rubber for not much cash, but this is a potential nightmare.
All ins companys have different rules about glass claims, sum count as a claim, sum may freeze or remove no-claims bonus.
Insurance fraud!
Thats unlikely thou, most ins comps never check.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:29 pm 

Cheers for the comments lads, my screen has some de laminating in the corner so might contact my insurance company and see wot they say, havent removed the pass rear quarter or screen yet cos it was freezing up newcastle yesterday!! wot i did do tho was try to remove these crazy flag mirrors!! wots the crack with these stupin things when you eventually get the glass out and strip them, the plug is massive and wont fit through the mirror. All i can think of is pulling the wires out of the plug itself but scared in case they dont go back in, got so sick yesterday i nearly cut them off!! god knows why thers not a plug in the door? How did you get yours off Russ!
Also wer would i be able to buy a copy screen in case the other one dose break?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4627
Hi,

Those types of pins usually have a retaining barb on the contact that prevents them from pulling out of the shell.

The trick is to find a thin sleeve that will pass over the contact and into the shell to depress the barbs and allow the pin to come out.

You can buy tools to do this, but getting right size is the challenge.

(Oh and don't forget to write down the pin number / wire colour first for re-assembly!)

Cheers,
Iain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:31 pm 

Cheers Lain, i was able to get the wires disconected on the drivers side today, your totally spot on with the advice. I have pulled the hole wire and fitting out of the plastic plug though, but i've checked and they push back in ok. Tried for ages today to get the pass side wing mirror glass off but it wont come out. I've turned the retaining ring in the mirror but it wont release the glass! god knows why.
Only jobs left are the rear quarter on the pass side, windscreen, pass side mirror, screen washer jets and the seals between the wing and the scuttle.

Are the wassher jets just clipped in ?
Wot is the best way to remove the seals between the wing and scuttle? (i will be fitting new ones.)
Also i havent removed the upper black door frame and glass from the door, this looks easy to mask off when painting. I dont fancy trying to remove this, it could be a step to far, wot do you guys think??

cheers Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:19 pm 

The mirrors on my car, i just cut the wires and rejoined them, sumone previous had allready done this.
The door frames dont touch em, just remove the outer metal seal, just unclips easy.
The seal that split the wings from the scuttle :? , not much fun to be honest. they are fitted with the wing from factory, so you either remove the wings and do a proper job or, you take the bolts out around the wing and pull the seal out. I ended up using a knife on one side (refitting the new ones is allso fun).
Washer jets are just clipped in.
Copy screens are available, just make sure you get a good un.

Its a pain to take apart, but its worth it when you put her back togther, i used all new bolts,screws,seals and clips this makes abig difference, mine looks like new.
Gettin my wheels painted black this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:09 pm 

Hi guys, managed to strip everything off the car ready for paint on monday. Thanks for all the advice, i would never of known the metal trim on the drivers door would clip off so easily if you had'nt said russ! also got the windscreen out really easily, just went round it with a stanley blade and lifted it out. The wire for the arial had been cut and soldered together so just un-soldered it, this proved the easiest cos i couldnt get the centre vents out to remove the dash top.
Only thing to go wrong is the paint sprayer has rang me today and put the job off for two weeks, he's got an insurance job that has to be done asap.

Its true wot they say about the scuttle panels on these cars. My car only had a small amount off rust bubbles under the paint but when i removed the screen rubber its revealed a canny big rust patch that's almost gone into a hole. I will be getting this cut out and replaced. It didnt look as bad as it was !!