Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:44 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Addspeed Performace Cars in Horsham?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:03 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Has anyone had any dealings with these guys who are located in Foundry Lane Horsham? Are they any good? Any information, good or bad, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

Post subject: Re: Addspeed Performace Cars in Horsham?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5033
Some of the South East region members have used them and been happy with the service. They've been around for years and certainly know the marque.
I keep thinking I'll use them but live 1/2 mile from the OPC and got a good deal for my major service.

'82 944

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:12 pm 

Thanks for the reply, have any of the guys got a 928?

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:45 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5033
It's the South East club night on Wednesday so I'll ask around.
One of the guys at Porsche Mid Sussex has a soft spot for the 928 and enjoys tinkering. What is the problem that needs addressing?

'82 944

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:21 pm 

No problem ( not yet ), just interested in the quality of their work for research porposes. Do they work on many 928's and know their way around? I'm sure I'm going to find out one way or another.

2003 996TT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:16 am 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Hi Lee,

In several years of being a member of the 928 UK owners' list, I don't recall any reference to Addspeed good or bad in context of looking after any of the 400 odd cars represented on the list.

This doesn't mean that Addspeed has never seen a 928, as the majority of 928s are off the 928uk "radar" (only about 25% of running 928s are members). The car that you have just purchased is obviously an example of that. Also my memory may be faulty!

So they don't have a high profile in terms of fixing 928s (only a handful of places have such a profile), but if someone there is seeing 928s regularly then they are streets ahead of the average indy!

The 928uk list is much more active than the 928 section of the TIPEC forum, so if you're not already a member (it's free) then could be useful to enrol then ask your question on that list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:51 pm 

Thanks for the advice, I'm all joined up now. The problem with the 928 in Scotland is exactly that of maintenance. Brian Millar will see the most up here I think, as when you look at the locator there are more in the east. I consider myself above average with a spanner, however it is a beast and I could easily be bitten. I don't mind spending money with Brian Millar to check over the car, but the history would suggest that the main items have all been done in the last 12 months and less than 5000 miles ago and I don't have any reason to not believe them. I think the biggest job at the moment is paint work. From the clos up pictures I have recieved, there are a few dinks and scratches.

I do plan on taking a trip down at some point next year to see the "experts" about what I can do with the car ( John, if your reading this, I think a sharktune is in order ) and advise on it's potential. I should have a good idea on it's true condition by then.

2003 996TT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:14 pm 

Sounds like you are very comfortable with working on cars yourself so recommend you dive in on your 928. The more you learn about the cars through working on them, the better equipped you are to improve your S4, understand any future problems and save a great deal of cash.

They are super cars to work on because the build quality is so high, even if sometimes it will seem as if Porsche chose to build the entire car around the trivial component you are trying to access!

It's a sophisticated design, but benefits from fantastic online support and documentation and enthusiastic communities including this one, Rennlist and 928uk. If you get stuck or need advice then it's guaranteed that a host of supportive experts will guide you through any procedure or snag.

You can of course choose to do some jobs yourself and leave others to experts. When I had my first 928 Paul Anderson installed new engine mounts and timing belt/water pump for me. I'd like to think I could tackle those jobs myself now but that's from confidence that comes from starting with doing some jobs myself and gradually building up both tools and knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:59 am 

Thank you Adrian. Once I have her in a week or so I'll draw up a list of the most important jobs. The reason I'm getting her transported up is the flexplate has not been checked for over a year, so I don't want her to drive 440 miles @ 70 mph ( it's cheaper to get the car driven up by a professional company than trailered up ). So that will be first. Then I just have to sift through the service history and see what needs done and make a list with the important jobs at the top.

As you and I spoke in e-mails a few weeks ago, a running budget is required. So I do have money for essential repairs and maintenance. If I'd bought the one in Edinburgh for £6k it WOULD have blown the bank and it would be left sitting in the drive.

I know that I will need help, and will be asking. Probably alot of stupid questions to start with.

Cheer,

2003 996TT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4468
Lee 944 wrote:
I know that I will need help, and will be asking. Probably alot of stupid questions to start with.

Cheer,

It's never a stupid question if you don't know the answer mate. What we're all here for to tap into each others strengths :wink:

Still trying to find mine though at the moment :lol:

Andy

Nissan R33 GTR V-Spec now sits where Blue Rocket once stood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:17 pm 

I will need a work shop manual. I prefer a cd, I've got an oily laptop for working with ( old IBM unit that's been dropped several times and still goes? ). Where is the best place to buy? The cd's on eBay range from £2.50 to £3.50, and I'm going to need all the money I have to keep it on the road. :lol: I heard the 9 folders go for up to £450???? What's all that about?

2003 996TT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:47 pm 

The hard copy manuals come up every few months on eBay.

I got lucky recently and picked up most recent set (includes updates up to 1995 latest GTS including wiring diagrams) for £75 inc postage! I was gobsmacked to win them at that price and they are as new. Yes 9 substantial volumes - need to build new shelf for them.

Also have the manuals on CD. Contact jdsporsche to see if he still sells the CDs. His are invaluable as compared with eBay ones they include the Service Info publications for every model year (loads of detail of new systems/changes omitted from manuals) and every 928-relevant technical bulletin.

The real must-have is the 928 parts catalogue for your model year which is a free download from Porsche site. It's a pdf so searchable. Great for showing how things fit together and in what order, identifying parts for which you have part number, establishing which of several similar parts is correct for your model year etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:36 am 

Thanks again Adrian. My e-mails are not working just now ( my iPhone has 1 bar of o2 signal which is coming and going ) so I've sent John a PM. Once I'm home I'll down load the other information.

I did notice that this 928 has been serviced by Addspeed at some point.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-928-S4-AUTO-WATCH-VIDEO-AUTOEMOTIONAL-/280535958124?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item41513f026c
Which gives me hope that they are competent.

2003 996TT