Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:55 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: OPC Solihull
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Today I had alignment done on my 928 S4 on Solihull's Hunter geometry rig.

I knew the alignment was way off from the free check we had courtesy of GeoTech Reading at the visit organised by Thames Valley. I wanted to do a lot of work on the car (new front shocks and springs, new ball joints, new track rods and steering bushes) since then so postponed any alignment work before I'd finished all the suspension/steering jobs (I set the new parts to roughly same settings as the old).

Ideally I'd go to the guru Chris Franklin at Center Gravity, but my car has been in garage for past 8 weeks and having finally finished working on her I was keen for alignment back to spec before I destroyed the tyres!

Was a pleasure to spend time at Solihull, watching their tech Mick working meticulously on the car in surgical conditions there. Front suspension stuff was all new and correctly lubricated so no problems adjusting, but they had to free off rear adjusters (I'd applied penetrant over past couple of days but they had not been touched at rear in five years I've owned the car and who knows when before then) so in all the car was being worked and then test driven for over 3 hours.

Despite extra time freeing off old adjusters the OPC stuck to their original quote of £150 inc VAT which I thought was very reasonable (no TIPEC discount available as they were already applying "classic" discount, though they always give me 10% off on parts). Throughout the people at Solihull couldn't have been more friendly or hospitable, and showed genuine interest in my 928 - the service advisor Lucy said she'd never seen one in the dealership before!

Let's face it they would make more profit selling a set of wheel centres, so I think this is great service at a really reasonable cost. Included thorough examination of suspension parts, and now the steering and handling feels pin-sharp since being restored to factory settings.

Post subject: Re: OPC Solihull
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:58 am 

I have used OPC Solihull before for parts and they were always fine to deal with :).

Ex Owner of a 1989 944 S2 and a 1991 944 Turbo (Ex Andrew Sweetenaham (ProMax) car)

Now Porkerless! Now with a 2003 BMW M3 and 1991 Mercedes W124 250D

Post subject: Re: OPC Solihull
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:23 am 

TIPEC membership: 993
Think most of the PC's are fine, or if they were identified as anything other, it would be fixed quickly, Porsche don't put up with brand damaging operations for long!