Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:35 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Retro Restorer - Banbury, Oxfordshire
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7106
Has anyone here used these guys? I found them on Facebook as 944 Restoration and popped in to see them with my 944 Turbo this week. They had a good poke around under my car and lifted the carpets and gave to me what sounded a reasonable estimate to repair floors and sills (not including parts).

Lots of 944's around plus a Morris Minor in bits in the workshop. Very pleasant guys.

Anyone got experience of them before I commit the car to them?

Post subject: Re: Retro Restorer - Banbury, Oxfordshire
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:17 am 

TIPEC membership: 5374
Hi. I'm only 10 miles from Banbury, but never heard of them! I'm looking at getting some work done on my S2cab...the usual around the sills and bottoms of wheel arches etc, so am keen to know about these guys and the quality of work they do.
I'm really surprised they've not cropped up on here before.
I might have a drive down and have a chat.
Barry

944 S2 Cab in the fastest colour since 2008
Now with a stable mate - 996 Turbo in Lapis Blue

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:47 am 

Barry,

I took the plunge and sent my car to them. I had rust on the A pillar plus paint issues rather than the normal sills. I also had a multitude of niggling issues including a water leak i could not trace, a leaking sun roof and a lack of performance against my previous turbo. I also wanted the power steering re-instating as previous owner intended it for track days and had fitted a manual rack. The car went in at Christmas and it's still there!

Part of this is my fault as I said i was in no rush for it's return as an operation was going to prevent me from driving and I also added to the work list by asking them to fit an Augment ECU plus supporting goodies. This has held them up badly as when they fitted ECU emissions went off the scale and it had to go back to Augment where it still is! Waiting on AA to replace windscreen 3 times also held things up.

We agreed a fixed price for rust repairs and paint which was reasonable and in line with other quotes. I was dubious about paint as I have my own pet painter who is superb but I wanted a single stop shop to fit and sort everything which my guy could not do. Labour charges for "extras" seem reasonable.

I hope it will be back next week but did see the car last weekend. Rust repair looked good but there was some aspects of paint I wasn't happy with which are being redone.

Nash who runs the place communicates well but I do think they take a lot on which does slow things down. He's very active on social media.

As soon as i get the car back I'll give a proper review and opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:09 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5374
Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Barry

944 S2 Cab in the fastest colour since 2008
Now with a stable mate - 996 Turbo in Lapis Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:14 pm 

So my car is home. In all it spent 7 months with them. A long time but a) I made the classic mistake of saying no rush and b) part of the work was outsourced and they had to wait an age for it's return.

Here's what it went in for and what I think:

Rust on A pillar - excellent job! Repair is invisible. The windscreen took a rock right in front of my face on the M40 going to Banbury so we had AA Autowindscreens replace whilst it was there. Took AA 3 attempts to get the right screen!

Lacquer peeling from front wings and nose badly stone chipped - really good job on the paint. Almost too good as it shows up an inferior paint job on the rest of the car. The one bit I'm not happy is where they tried to blend new and old paints it does show just how bad the last paint job was.

Fix coolant leak I could not find. Jury out here. Coolant has dropped again after a weekend of hard use but it could be air trapped in system releasing as it only took a small amount to restore level. Will keep an eye on this.

Replace inner and outer sun roof seals. It's not stopped raining here since it came home and no sign of damp carpets.

Give it a bit more go. Fitted Augment ECU, boost control, wastegate etc. Here's the main area of delay. 1st attempt sent the car off the scale in terms of emissions. ECU returned to Augment who then sat on it for best part of 6 weeks. Now fitted and mapped it goes very well. Pick up is much improved and it holds boost for longer. It's proper quick now! Augment advise a return for rolling road set up and reckon we can get more from it which I will do when I have some cash.

All said and done I am pleased with price and quality.