Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:55 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CMS Porsche - Telford - praise
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6968
My (Andrew Williams) Boxster S (Y371 TFG) suffered a catastrophic water loss in mid December requiring recovery

Got the car eventually to CMS a week ago and they have been helpful, reassuring and utterly professional in their dealings with me

Steve's approach is "start with the cheapest / quickest things first" but this one had him a little stumped initially

Replaced the filler cap and bled the system which took him a lot longer than he said it normally takes - took over 13 litres of coolant (hence the term catastrophic coolant loss) but no leak apparent until all of a sudden the expansion tank went - it was a hairline crack that only really opened up at very high temp

New expansion tank fitted today - fully tested with clear guidance from him in terms of precautionary checks over the next few days

Delighted with the service and reasonable costs so happy to recommend their services

Post subject: Re: CMS Porsche - Telford - praise
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:04 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
Not dissing CMS at all but the header tank failure is well known fault on both 996 and Boxsters

Post subject: Re: CMS Porsche - Telford - praise
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:25 am 

TIPEC membership: 6968
lindsayhbrown wrote:
Not dissing CMS at all but the header tank failure is well known fault on both 996 and Boxsters

They knew that but I appreciated their thinking of starting at the start with the cheapest potential issue (expansion tank cap) and then working from there.

There was no apparent leak from the expansion tank, it was a tiny hairline crack that only opened up with pressure / heat

I'd have been a bit hacked off if they had just assumed it was the expansion tank and it had turned out to be something cheaper to remedy