Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the 956 really able drive upside down??
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:44 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi there!
:compress:

I’m new here, I’m not a mechanic and so far I could not afford a Porsche. But I’ve a bet with a friend, and there are some beers on the line - I hoped you could help me.
Visiting the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart we’ve seen the 956 hanging there upside down. They made this, to demonstrate that the downforce of the 956 is so strong, that it could theoretically drive upside down.
But could it for real???

My friend says no, because the car is not built to do so. As an optimist as well as romantic person I said of course! (Actually I said that the 956 could drive upside down forever – till it touches the upside down horizon of upside down world...) So the bet is on. :help:

Here’s a short version of the argument we had:

He: There won’t be engine lubrication!! :naka:
Me: There’s no doubt that it’s a dry sump, so in theory there could be enough oil even when it’s upside down. As far as I know it depends of the shape of the tank, and the positioning of the tubes if a dry sump can really work upside down. (Actually I have no idea if this is the case with Porsche oil tanks. Do you have any idea?)

He: The battery will leak!
Me: The battery won’t leak if it’s AMG or gel battery 8)

He: The brake fluid will leak!
Me: I don’t know why it should do so. If it’s hydraulic the system should be tight. (Or am I wrong?) But anyhow nobody needs brakes in the upside down world.

He: :brilsmurf: The engine won’t be able to get any fuel!
Me: For acrobatic flying they use Flop Tubes to solve this problem. I’m sure "upside down 956" would have something like that. :mrgreen:

He: The transmission will collapse! :twisted:
Mmmm... could be :cry: . The transmission is actually my greatest worry. I have no idea what would happen inside the transmission if the 956 would drive upside down. The fact that for the 935, they used an upside down gearbox gives me some hope. (Unfortunately) I read that they changed the shape of the transmission housing back then. Would there still be lubrication within normal-shaped transmission housing when it’s upside down? Or would it even leak?

I still have hope for my a better world and a real “upside down 956” – but I have some doubts now. I’d be very interested in your opinion!

Best greetings
Sebastian