Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ANyone interested in low cost motorsport
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:27 pm 

tr7v8 wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:
Hi :)

I think Jim is correct on this...

Most of us who would come to this type of event have road cars....

Even mine lol (daily driver) ...and scrutineering on mine would be fun... they would like my 3 layer nomex suit and helmet, and race seat and 6 point harnesses and twin extinguishers, but I suspect they would hate my 130 db and huge Nitrous system....

I actually know someone who Hill climbs and uses Nitrous (i fill his bottles for him ) and the regs says he should run the Nitrous pipes UNDER the car.... now I know a LOT about nitrous and that idea was banned in the US for safety reasons in the sixties :( :(

Sometimes I think the event organisers are not interested in getting new people into their sport...its more about the people already in it.... :(

As an example I would love to have a go at hill climbing (on tarmac) and i suspect my car with its enormous amounts of horsepower available would be pretty good at it....but I seriously doubt i would ever pass scrutineering :( unless they have a sort of amateur day where ANY car could try it ???

All the best Brett :)

This is the whole issue Brett I suspect your helmet, seat, harness & suit wouldn't pass scrutineering. For a start you'd be in the Sports Libre class which means FIA seat & harness, all in date. Your helmet would need HANS posts & you'd need a HANS. It would have to have a full cage, welded not bolted to MSA specs. Nitrous cannot run through the car unless in a duct. And 130dB wuld be a complete nonstarter, typically it is around the 100dB mark.

Hi Jim :)

Full cage :( do they not have any road cars /daily drivers or dont they want them ?

I also wonder who advises them on the Nitrous safety, because they have it wrong big time.... the guy who uses Nitrous (the one I mentioned) uses American bottles (out of date ones) plus American bottles have NO > SPRV (thats a Safe Pressure Relief Valve) they have whats called a "blow off valve" which in an impact dumps the whole bottle into the car (not a great idea lol) and running Nitrous under the car is just laughable in this day and age....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:31 pm 

tr7v8 wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:

Just out of interest for me and others, does not a Hans device mean you MUST have a full cage to attach it to ?

Or am I wrong ??

Nope, HANs attaches to two posts on the helmet. The HANS itself then traps under the shoulder straps & stops the head whipping forward under impact.
Now compulsory for MSA events for everything except road going.

Hi Jim :)

Ah i see ...I think....

I wrongly assumed that the other end of the Hans was fitted to the cage.....so its really a bit like a medical neck brace to stop things moving your neck/spine too fast ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:28 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7576

I think Jim is correct on this...

Most of us who would come to this type of event have road cars....

Even mine lol (daily driver) ...and scrutineering on mine would be fun... they would like my 3 layer nomex suit and helmet, and race seat and 6 point harnesses and twin extinguishers, but I suspect they would hate my 130 db and huge Nitrous system....

I actually know someone who Hill climbs and uses Nitrous (i fill his bottles for him ) and the regs says he should run the Nitrous pipes UNDER the car.... now I know a LOT about nitrous and that idea was banned in the US for safety reasons in the sixties :( :(

Sometimes I think the event organisers are not interested in getting new people into their sport...its more about the people already in it.... :(

As an example I would love to have a go at hill climbing (on tarmac) and i suspect my car with its enormous amounts of horsepower available would be pretty good at it....but I seriously doubt i would ever pass scrutineering :( unless they have a sort of amateur day where ANY car could try it ???

All the best Brett :)[/quote]

You can take your car hill climbing at Prescott and Harewood for sure as long as it is road registered and you have some sort of helmet, or you can hire a helmet. No doubt you can do it at other hills too. It will not be a competition, there will be no timing on and you will probably get 15 runs up the hill. But if you want to compete under MSA rules then you have to comply with them.

David

Radical PR6
1928 Delage DR 70 Saloon
LandRover Discovery Sport