Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SOLD - 996 Carrera 4 Manual for sale - has rebuilt engine
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:23 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7018
996 Carrera 4 (Manual gearbox) Coupe
£12,500
W reg (2000)
Miles 122k (will increase as I’m using the car)
Zenith Blue, grey leather interior
Very good condition for its year - lovely to drive.

As you probably know the big worry with these cars is the engine - bore scoring and IMS failure - both of which can be expensive. You’ll also have probably have heard the advice: either get one with an engine that’s already been rebuilt by Hartech or Autofarm or get one and put it on Hartech’s maintenance plan (so if it does go, you only have to pay for the parts, not the labour).

I went for both - this one has already had an engine rebuild at Autofarm (including the IMS bearings) and I’ve kept it on Hartech’s maintenance plan (and I’d recommend that to its new owner). It also has the low temperature thermostat which helps protect the engine further.

As a result I’ve been able to enjoy it without the worry these cars can cause. I’ve been using it as a daily driver for the last three years but sadly my two little boys are now getting too big for the back seats so the time has come to sell it.

It’s generally in good condition inside and out for its age and mileage, but it’s been driven rather than being a show car.

It has 18 inch wheels (with N rated tyres all round), a Miltek stainless steel sports exhaust, has had new brake discs all round within the last 4000 miles, has an MOT until May 2018 and has just been serviced.

It also has a 6 CD changer in the boot and also a single CD/Radio in the cabin. Leather interior.

I have both keys, the original manuals and paperwork and full service history. Insurance is surprisingly reasonable (with Tesco, of all people). It does drink the petrol of course, but makes up for that by not having an MPG indicator, so unless you do the sums yourself you can live in blessed ignorance...

Bad points? Well, it’s a 17 year old car. The bonnet and bumper have picked up quite a few stone chips, mostly small, one larger one. I’ve thought about getting them resprayed but always thought “I’ll only get more afterwards” so never have. The wheels aren’t perfect - there’s some bubbling. If you wanted to make it look spot on, you’d get them refurbished. Oh and the cigarette lighter doesn’t work. Never bothered me as I don’t smoke. All this is reflected in the price.

On the other hand, it drives beautifully and with it having already had an engine rebuild and being on the Hartech plan I've found it less stressful than most 996s could be!

(note that the 3 large "smudges" on the bonnet in this photo aren't real - not sure where they came from)

I’m not interested in silly offers from dealers or individuals and I’ll only part with the car when I have the cleared funds.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The car is in South Cumbria.

It’s a lovely car at a fair price - and if you're after a good one I think you'll love it.

Last edited by timwakeling on Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 996 Carrera 4 Manual for sale - has rebuilt engine
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
The price might help the sale :)

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

Post subject: Re: 996 Carrera 4 Manual for sale - has rebuilt engine
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 pm 

Sorry- what an idiot - of all the things to forget...
I've edited it to add it now.
Thanks for pointing it out.
Tim

Post subject: Re: SOLD - 996 Carrera 4 Manual for sale - has rebuilt engin
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 am 

Car now sold.
Thanks