Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:20 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 944S For Sale or London storage?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:40 pm 

Hi

I have to vacate the garage that I have been borrowing from a neighbour for the last year - within the next week or so. As a result, I am looking for either a) London storage (garage or underground) for less than a million pounds per week or b) To sell my 944S (which due to scooter and motorbike, I currently have very little opportunity to use in central London).

The car:

1986 944S, very good condition grey bodywork with immaculate maroon 'half leather' interior. 12 months mot and tax (last weekend), full service history from new, (including belts, rollers, etc within the last couple of years and less than 4k miles ago). 101k miles. S2 wheels on quality new tyres, new battery, upgraded cd player / six speakers (very expensive job). I have owned this car since July 2005 and really looked after it, as have the previous owners. As a result, I slightly overpaid when I bought it (as you do sometimes). So......what's it worth now? Any offers?

Having problems locating a photo. Will take fresh ones for any one interested.

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: 944S For Sale or London storage?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:44 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Not a lot of fun driving a '44 in London. If you store it will you ever use it? If you sell it now you will get peanuts for it. I've seen beautiful cars with larger engines selling at auction for around £500. So even popular classics like yours are worth much less than they were. My guess would be put it on piston heads for 2.5K & it will sell. If your not in a rush ask a bit more. :| But few have any money at the moment.
Ironically yours is the model with the best tuning potential. But the one everyone says to avoid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:32 pm 

Thanks for your thoughts. Couldn't agree more. Last resort would be leaving it parked outside all winter and not using it. Older cars hate that! I'll have a look at Piston Heads as suggested.

Thanks also to Paul for the RGA Vauxhall suggestion. I know Bob down there and always assumed that all the cars in there were either his or customer cars being serviced! It's a very dusty / dirty place but worth asking.

By the way, how do you tune the 16 valve 2.5 S engine. Maybe I'll do it? Can it handle a turbo?!

LBJ.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
The S gives good results for a remap. (£300 chip wizards Rochdale or just a chip from Promax. Cheaper but not as good.) It's the only model to give you a real increase just from a remap. If you fit a performance exhaust as well you can add a few more (Dansk full system.) After that it gets expensive fast. But the engine must be fit & have no underlying issues. If you want a turbo sell it & buy one! Good luck whatever you decide :)