Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:01 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1986 944 Turbo Project Car
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:00 am 

TIPEC membership: 7106
Having just bought myself a rather nice 944T off another forum member I need to sell my project car to replenish the bank account before Mrs S notices.

It's a 944 Turbo first registered in late 1986 and now shows approx 152k miles. It had spent all it's life in Northern Ireland until I bought it in March of this year. It is now registered with mainland DVLA and has the balance of it's MOT remaining until March 2015. It is taxed but stupid new tax rules means that new owner will need to tax again. Car drives well and is very quick. It comes with a large history file and for most of it's life was obviously cherished until it fell in to the wrong hands at about 122k. All MOT's included and huge file of receipts that show top end rebuild, clutch, belts etc at 122k. Nothing after this except MOT certificates.

It came to me via a cheeky eBay bid that I thought would never be enough but I made the classic mistake of trusting someone based on a phone conversation and blind faith. I was told (backed up by pictures) that the car was in excellent order and had just had new sills. Here's where the problems start! Yes, it has new outer sills but they are just masking rust on the inners sills and will need removing, work done properly and outers replaced. It also came with a leaking sun roof which has damaged the headlining. I replaced the seal which has fixed the leak but have done nothing with the trim.

The car also has some electrical issues (not that impact starting, driving or any critical safety features). Nothing on the centre console works ie sunroof, mirrors, rear wiper etc. I pulled the radio (original cassette player) and it looks as though the centre console is just disconnected but I could not find the other end of the multiblock connector and had no heart to strip further to find it.

Interior is black leather and seats are good. No rips, tears and only the slightest scuff to drivers bolster. Steering wheel, gear lever etc all good. Clock doesn't work but air con does! Just.....

Under the bonnet everything is as it should be but airbox has mangled mountings which I have repaired. I replaced oil, filters, plugs, coolant and a leaking hose when I got it. Starts on button and drives nicely. Number 4 exhaust on mounting has a crack but I have a spare manifold which will go with the car. I also stripped, cleaned and new pads in to the front brakes that were binding. All now fine and pulling straight.

Not 100% sure of the actual colour as the paint code under the bonnet has flaked but it does look nice. It's a silver type. Someone said slate grey but it's not that dark. I thought Silver Rose but it's the wrong year for that colour. Definitely not Zermatt as my other car is that colour. Car sports factory Fuchs alloys all round but tyres are close to legal limits.

I'm looking for £3,200 ovno on this. It's a lot less than I paid but I was robbed by a dishonest crook. My plan was to use and restore over the winter. I was also toying with the idea of using it as a trackday car. It's far too good to break up.

If you are genuinely interested then message me and you are welcome to view but this is a PROJECT!

Post subject: Re: 1986 944 Turbo Project Car
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:12 am 

Deposit taken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
did you sell this?

www.wooliesworkshop.com
New & Used Porsche spares.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:00 pm 

Yes but kind of regret it now! Thinking I should have kept it and done it myself over the long term.