Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1987 944 turbo for sale
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:07 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Well after quite a bit of deliberation my 944 Turbo is for sale. I have had to come to the realisation that an older car doesn't suit my circumstances, and after spending £10k within the past 12 months and doing less that 2k miles, it's time to move on to what will probably be a Gen 2 Cayman S.

Photos here https://flickr.com/photos/125359396@N04 ... 5654967961

Car is a 1987 Turbo, 220bhp model.
Grey
118,000 miles
17" Cup 2 twist alloys, n3 Michelin pilot sport tyres 12 months old and under 2k miles old.
rolling road in Jan 14 at 223.5 bhp. Boost leak fixed shortly thereafter. I suspect it's chipped, but have never looked inside the ecu to verify.
MOT to may 2015, no advisories on last visit
Tax to dec 14.
£10k of receipts in past 12 months all with RGA Porsche. Full service in July 13 with belts etc all done and water pump checked, new fuel lines, one new drive shaft, all bleed nipples released and super blue racing brake fluid, amongst many other items.

The car is therefore in fairly reasonable mechanical health, but is a little less than perfect on the bodywork - mainly parking chips, small dents etc. Its fine, but not concourse. It is water tight around the sunroof and hatch (I did the rear hatch seals and new pins).

The maintenance items I am aware of that need doing are:
minor leak on cylinder No.1 exhaust gasket
The a/c doesn't work, but that didn't bother me when I acquired it.
Some Kerbing on the alloys.
Clock doesn't work.
The front shocks need renewal. They are the koni adjustable option.
There are two small areas of paint that have recently been eaten through by bird poo - sunroof and bonnet.

Items before my time, based on receipts:
Bilstein b6 rear shocks and powerflex bushes all round - circa May 2009. (MOT indicates 110,815 miles).
clutch - June 2006 (2006 MOT indicated 102,984 miles).
Inner sills replaced & rear brake pipes - march 2008
At some point an after market chip and FPR has been fitted. No direct invoices for this work other than one for an ECU in 2006.

This car is not a concourse version so please don't come expecting that. It drives well and I did just the one track day in February which was great fun and the car handles really well.

I was offered £5k as a part ex by RSJ Sports cars three weeks ago, but the cayman they had did not have the spec I liked. This was before the bird poo eating through the paint and knowing the shocks needed doing. As I have mentally moved on, doing these is not on my radar so I am prepared to accept the reality of that decision for my price. If I had off street parking and could spanner this regularly, I would not be moving it on.

I am testing the water at offers over £4.5k. Someone with spanner skills can do this up reasonably affordably from here and benefit from my recent 'investment'.

Call Russell on 07787155968. I am SW London based.

Post subject: Re: 1987 944 turbo for sale
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:28 pm 

Sold to a TIPEC member. Porscheless for the moment whilst I hunt down the right Cayman.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 pm 

Won't be long Russell!

Look forward to meeting up in the not too distant future!! I got home OK....eventually!!

Thanks mate - I'm very much chuffed at the mo :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:04 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6718
Rustle wrote:
Sold to a TIPEC member. Porscheless for the moment whilst I hunt down the right Cayman.

Tis always courteous to let folk know that the car's not for you (or whatever) when they've given you lots o' time and hospitality when viewing their car isn't it? (rather than just disappearing). Wishing you well with your hunt but perhaps bear that in mind - we're all decent folk on here, aren't we?

'06 black Boxster 2.7 manual
New Ford Focus estate (Motability mile muncher)
[Previously '06 silver Cayman S manual]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:08 pm 

Hallsy wrote:
Won't be long Russell!

Look forward to meeting up in the not too distant future!! I got home OK....eventually!!

Thanks mate - I'm very much chuffed at the mo :)

Andy - I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but from the above can I assume that you will be tooling around the historic streets of Sudbury in a rather nice 951?

If so, nice one!!...you will have to pop it round, though it does look good in the photos - nice colour, nice interior too. :D

Always nice to hear another Porsche has been added to the local population....

Black 1987 944S - Gone but not forgotten
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924
Minerva blue 1979 924

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:32 pm 

Rhett - yes, I gave into temptation!!

It's a good car as far as i can tell, missing early history but has been looked after mechanically for the last 10 years.

Cosmetically it's not as tidy as my S, but if it behaves itself ovee the next couple of months, I will probably end up getting the car painted.

My S will soon be up for sale as I can't keep both, just want to renew the engine mounts and steering shaft before doing so.

I'll pop over soon :)