Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1983 Porsche 924 Bronze 2.0l n/a
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:40 pm 

TIPEC membership: 944
Believe it or not I have my eye on another older 924 project so my '83 bronze 924 (known as GoldieHawn) needs a new partner to love & cherish.

She's taxed until the end of August and MOT'd until 18th June 2014 - so you can thoroughly enjoy summer knowing that nothing needs to be spent on her to have miles of smiles!

When I bought this 924 about 6 months ago she needed some loving and I focused on making her mechanically sound and a good reliable car - and that she is now and more.

ImageImage

For details on what I've done over the past winter since collecting her read my project thread on retro-rides forum: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/159069/1983-porsche-project-goldie-grand but here's a summary of her features:

Running smoothly & flawlessly...
Powder coated the whole front suspension, anti-roll bar, struts, top mounts,pulleys, cam cover, belt cover and cross member;
Spax dampers front & rear (fronts are adjustable);
New lowering springs up front;
Lowered rear on spring plates;
Poly bushed front;
New ARB bushes & uprated 944 ARB;
New steel German Febi wishbones;
New ball joints & track rod ends;
Refinished steering rack;
New Bosch Starter motor;
Recent alternator with new belts so charge is spot on;
Recently cambelt service;
Recent new battery;
New battery/alternator/starter wiring loom;
New distributor, coil, plugs, filters and fresh oil;
Recent new radiator;
New Comma coolant;
New front tyres (matching rears look recent with loads of tread);
Stainless steel exhaust (once again looks fairly recent);
Sony CD stereo (face off type) included but not wired yet as I enjoy the fruity exhaust note:-)
Power windows work & sunroof doesn't seem to leak (parked under carport but driven & parked in the rain with no evidence of a leak);
New sunroof clips;
Door handles are polished;
Two spoke steering wheel - choice of two, with or without gold badge logo;
And the latest addition is new NS rear wheel bearings & seals!

...and yes I did use a little seventies inspired colour underneath because she's worth it:

ImageImage

No rust or dodgy sills and the bodywork is solid with a few age related minor marks as one would expect from a driver.

Bronze paint is original (and different to gold) although there are a couple of very small areas where the primer is exposed thanks to a previous owner carelessly removing the side mouldings and the front valance is not perfect but as you can see from the pics this is a good beautiful looking car for its 31 years. The worst I would say is the front OS ahead of the wheel arch where the trim used to be - but looking at the pics you wouldn't be able to tell would you?

ImageImage
ImageImage

What would I do next?
1) Repair the seats - the fabric is good & original but the seams have separated the base from the side bolsters but they're still intact, are comfortable and adjust properly and I wouldn't retrim them;
2) connect hatch demister and side mirror wires;
3) passenger power window works but currently not from drivers door switch;
4) fine tune the heater lever controls as there's always a little warm air coming through - personally I like it like that 'cos it always feels a little like summer...even more so with the sunroof out!

No hot or cold start issues. Starts every time after long or short journeys. I let her run a minute or two before & after a jaunt. Fan works as it should so no problems in traffic.

Engine is incredible. Smooth and pulls lovely through all the gears and sounds fabulous with this stainless steel exhaust. She's quick enough too.

Gearbox is good - no whine or crunching.

This is not a concourse 924 but she's a million miles away from a haggard beater and not far off being stunning.

There's nothing immediately needed for you to enjoy her like I have on the back roads or motorways - which is why I want an older one to get back on the road again.

Oh and the dash is virtually crack free! Unusual for a 924 square dash this one only has a few very minor cracks which are barely noticeable. And I mean barely. Nice.

ImageImage

The roof rack is also included in the deal too!

I also have the original small spoiler hatch and wiper motor if you want to put her back to original. As you can see she currently sports a smooth flowing look with the revealed chrome trim on the hatch and the subtle & original chrome PORSCHE logo script in the hatch glass.

ImageImage

Mileage is only 76074 + 400 miles... Because the week before going up to Donnington the trip meter stopped working although the speedo is fine as are the other gauges & clock.

Take this 924 and enjoy it or use it as a base for continued rolling restoration. The drive is great and tuneable via the SPAX dampers and the subtle lowering enhances the ride quality and handling. I've found it great as it is.

Price: a reasonable £1850ovno will make you GoldieHawn's new owner, you can even rename her...drop me a pm to get in touch. Car is located in Mid-Kent.

Blog: http://944lux.blogspot.com
Twitter: @retrodelux
http://instagram.com/retrosteve

Post subject: Re: 1983 Porsche 924 Bronze 2.0l n/a
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 pm 

Does it come with the Kuwahara ?

Boxster 2.7 Silver 00 Sold
Boxster S Meridian 01 Sold
928 S2 Prussian Blue 86 Sold
993 C4 Arena Red 97 Sold

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:25 am 

:D no-way

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:14 am 

TIPEC membership: 4098
Good luck with the sale Steve. You car is certainly one of the nicer 924,s about and the spoilerless hatch does suit it very well.

Perhaps you should mention the 300 mile plus round trip that you did last weekend? It did look good cruising down the M1.

What are you replacing it with? Can you give us any clues?

David

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:27 am 

Hi Dave thanks for the kind comments!

Yeah she was flawless on the trip to and from Donnington from Kent - I'd have no problem driving the 924 anywhere.

I'm replacing this one with an older 924 that needs to be put back on the road too.

:wink: