It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TIPEC 10 Porsche Show at Gaydon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
Thank you for all the feedback, it's great to read that the vast majority had a good time.

Clive and I had a de-brief yesterday and chewed things over a bit. There is no one more critical of the event than ourselves and we both felt a change was required for 2011.

We have no idea what or how this will look yet, but it will include whether or not we use the same venue. If we do go back to The HMC, the show will receive a total makeover and have a new layout.

We are both agreed that previous winners of Best in Show are not allowed to enter the same car into the Pride of Ownership competition.

I would like to thank everyone who attended on Saturday and Sunday and welcome all those that joined the Club.

Well done Lindsay for all your hard work, your award was very well deserved.

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6097
Hi, new member here so forgive me if I don't use this correctly.....

Went to the show on Sunday and had a nice time - great value, great cars and great people.
The first Porsche show I've been to (Stanford hall VW usually).

Shame everyone started to leave so early and a lack of used parts stands/quality food stalls :( (am I being too picky?)
We met Graham and Mandy (Plumb) with their awesome 993 and joined TIPEC as a result :wink:

Look forward to spending some time on my car with the tips I picked up and taking it to a meet somewhere.
I noticed someone sneaked in a Ferrari.... I imagine this is common I hope it works the other way :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
Sean Smallman wrote:

We are both agreed that previous winners of Best in Show are not allowed to enter the same car into the Pride of Ownership competition.

For sale..... 993 in Iris Blue !! ............ and no I am not kidding.

Sean has said it all re next year, I look forward to helping plan it (but not yet, we need a break) and if you have views and thoughts then let us know.

Morris the 58 Split screen in 'shed' state
Wilma the Karmann 70's beetle
Jag x type motorway slogger
Nasty 206 pug thing - but great for trashing around in

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 pm 

iam468 wrote:
Hi, new member here so forgive me if I don't use this correctly.....

Went to the show on Sunday and had a nice time - great value, great cars and great people.
The first Porsche show I've been to (Stanford hall VW usually).

Shame everyone started to leave so early and a lack of used parts stands/quality food stalls :( (am I being too picky?)
We met Graham and Mandy (Plumb) with their awesome 993 and joined TIPEC as a result :wink:

Look forward to spending some time on my car with the tips I picked up and taking it to a meet somewhere.
I noticed someone sneaked in a Ferrari.... I imagine this is common I hope it works the other way :D

Iam,

Pleased you enjoyed the show and welcome to the club :D TIPEC members are very friendly and you will have a great time as we both do and glad to see you found the forum.

Look forward to seeing you at a future event and bring your Boxster - you'll know where to find us - just look for the car with matching 'Arena Red' chairs and cool bag :wink:

993 C4S
Previous: 1976 2.7 Carrera; 1991 964 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
Sorry I forgot to mention,

Congratulations to John Randall who won the Boxster for the weekend courtesy of Porsche Centre Silverstone.

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:48 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5282
"Through the darkness comes the light"

This statement certainly summed up my day. Shortly after leaving Huddersfield and joining the M1 at J38, the heavens opened in biblical proportions. The visibility was appauling. The rain was coming down as fast it was like I'll put the wipers on the fastest setting. Oh, they're already on the fastest setting. The 944 was aquaplaning at 60mph! Eventually I was down to 40mph and was the still the fastest thing on the M1! I can report the sunroof has passed it's leak test. :D

Despite this terrible journey where I actually thought of turning around due to the driving conditions, the further I got down the motorway the better the weather got. By the time I arrived at Gaydon, it was sunny and warm.

I was in the Pride Of Ownership show and I had a mountain to climb. The car looked like I had driven it through a muddy field. Despite my best efforts to get the car cleaned up, I came away empty handed (again!). :(

Despite these set backs though, I had a good day. I managed to catch the tail end of Henry Firman's 'Buying And Selling Porsches' presentation. Very insightful from an expert.

It was also good to catch up with old and new members. I thought numbers seemed down a little on last year but I think that may have been more down to the weather putting people off perhaps?

Well done to all involved in organising another annual show. I'm sure it takes a lot of work behind the scenes to get the show off the ground. Here's to TIPEC 11 where ever it may be held.

As for the Pride Of Ownership competition, in the words of Arnie "I'll be back!" :blackeye:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:13 pm 

Realised I've not posted my thanks yet.

Show was great as always. Plenty to see and do, food was decent, nice to see things for all the family, probably helps keep the numbers up if the wife and kids have fun too! In 3 years I've still not managed a proper look round the museum.

However, I realise it might be time for some changes. Any help or support we can offer up here, just ask.

We will never please everyone but I think on the whole the response here and on other forums has been very positive, so Sean, Clive and the rest (not forgetting Hayley and Jo) are definately doing something right!

We had a couple of idea in the afternoon, but they mostly faded after the second bottle of wine. One of them was to perhaps have a few smaller things going on throughout the day, including a line up of models through the years, with owners on hand to talk through the basics - a kind of show and tell, as it were. Maybe a small auto jumble area? We've all got a small heap of spares in the garage, could even list stuff online first. Also, there's no OPC presence which seems crazy. Surely one of them would like to bring down a motor or 3, a press van and a couple of salesmen. If we can manage a sport classic, why no Panamera?

Erm, anyway, not trying to be negative, had a great day and would love to help out in future making it even better!

Jen x

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:46 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4753
I think there were just too many other shows on up and down the UK on the same day. One of those things, I guess. Despite that and the weather (Gaydon had glorious weather, but drive five miles in any direction and it was tipping down!) the show still filled up pretty well as the day went on.

What Jen and I were thinking was that maybe there could be more of an actual pre-organised display of cars in future. If we arranged things in advance, picking one car from each model range plus some specials, we could have a very nice ‘show’ display to give the day a focal area. A lot of visitors don’t seem to get that the car park is our main display—the club is its members! something set up and clearly signposted/staffed might help with that.