Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Porsche Only Track Day
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:34 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4004
PaulPSB wrote:
jmgarage wrote:
Paul, Did you get any footage of a 944 turbo on the track at all? I was not out as often as I would have liked, but it would have been awesome to see I was going slower than I thought! lol

Sorry no :(

No Problem,
As I was spectating :( I took some photos & 2 Videos:- a 2 min one of almost 30 Cars on a sighting lap (1:43pm on the revised circuit) + a 5min one of the JMG Turbo (at 2:15pm) (SD card in a small brown! Jiffy bag labelled Tipec-Blyton is on it's way Jon)

Sean :- Will sort through 30 Photos & e-mail some to Tony
Never used u-tube so don't know how to stick it there :oops:
Clive

Volvo XC70 D5 (Hauler)
HymerCar Sydney
Nissan Micra (Runabout)
Previous 944's not forgotten
S2 Cab, 2.7 (Alpine White)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:19 pm 

TIPEC membership: 3980
PaulPSB wrote:
I think its you passing me on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qojBt2VxTQk&feature=youtu.be
I take it you mean me, rather than Jon :D Great, thanks, Paul. Actually, looks fine, was wondering how flat is was sitting at speed... Can put the spanners away!! (until I decide to fit some other go-faster bits :D ). By the way, liked your seats... Make and model?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6726
jmgarage wrote:
Sean Smallman wrote:
jmgarage wrote:

One thing I did think was "off", the guy who turned up from PCGB and proceeded to erect a PCGB flag next to his car right in front of Sean and I.. I don't even think he participated, and considering PCGB would not tollerate the same happening at one of their events, I think that was extremely rude.

I thought it was funny, no he wasn't participating. He kept hijacking the thread we had over on the PCGB forum, telling us about his region running a novice day in May. :roll:

So anyone from the Lincolnshire region up for popping along to Blyton Park sometime in May to erect a TIPEC flag.. Maybe a Banner... Oh sod it, how about a club gazebo?

May i raise my hand? Im in charge of an entire club of local VW enthusiasts, I will happily hoist the flag for TIPEC and maybe set up a GYVW banner along side.

In response the the where were the girls comment. Unfortunately my other half had gone to work otherwise she would have been there. Had I been working later that day Id have been on the track. Hopefully one of two of you saw us on TV on Sunday, we managed a second place and reliable day.

My thoughts from the point of view of a first time event attender and spectator were,

The welcome was exceptionally warming despite having never met a single club member before. With in 10 minutes of talking to people I had been offered two passenger rides around the track. (nearly snapped their arm off) It was almost as much fun to spectate with the track being as close as it was. The noise, the smell and the vibrations made me salivate! Thanks very much to everyone, club and circuit for making it happen, the only thing missing was my own Porsche haha. Ill aim for the next one.

'72 Fasty in progress as ever HERE
'85 944 works more than it doesnt
'05 Octavia Estate Diesel POWER!
'82 Mini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:26 pm 

I had my camera setup and for something different I sat it on the rear window looking through...
Sadly this meant that whilst I got some great sounds and inside footage but the exterior was contrasted out!!

Mark also had a camera for a few laps, so hopefully his may have come out a lot better...
I'm gutted at the footage but sometimes you have to try something different to experiment, i've seen some footage that looks great doing it like that but for some reason it didn't work for me :(
I'll get a bit uploaded to you tube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VXpvOjU ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am 

TIPEC membership: 996
garyw wrote:
I had my camera setup and for something different I sat it on the rear window looking through...
Sadly this meant that whilst I got some great sounds and inside footage but the exterior was contrasted out!!

Mark also had a camera for a few laps, so hopefully his may have come out a lot better...
I'm gutted at the footage but sometimes you have to try something different to experiment, i've seen some footage that looks great doing it like that but for some reason it didn't work for me :(
I'll get a bit uploaded to you tube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VXpvOjU ... e=youtu.be

Gary if you are using a GoPro 3 like me then there is a setting for this type of situation in the light menu somewhere.

I lost a load of ski video a couple of months ago because my PC decided a windows update and restart was necessary while I transferred files over from the sd card which kindly wiped the whole thing for me so I know how gutting it can be when this sort of thing happens.

Additionally, download the gopro app on a phone or tablet and you can see the camera shot when you set it up before filming so you know it's going to be correct.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Paul

2013 Panamera Platinum Diesel, White
Sold April 2013 2009 997 C2S Gen2, Arctic Silver
Sold Aug 2010 2002 996 Carrera, Polar Silver
Sold May 2004 2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 am 

TIPEC membership: 4004
Paul Mabley wrote:
garyw wrote:
I lost a load of ski video a couple of months ago because my PC decided a windows update and restart was necessary while I transferred files over from the sd card which kindly wiped the whole thing for me so I know how gutting it can be when this sort of thing happens.

Paul

Bit too late I know :( but I always slide the lock strip on the SD card when transferring files after having a similar thing happen.

Sean a dozen Photos or so with Tony This morning.
Clive

Volvo XC70 D5 (Hauler)
HymerCar Sydney
Nissan Micra (Runabout)
Previous 944's not forgotten
S2 Cab, 2.7 (Alpine White)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am 

Paul
It's a HD Hero2 although it may well have the same settings somewhere...
I did set it up with the App on my phone and looked at the image which seemed fine, on certain parts of the circuit it is fine but others it washes out.
I've tried dropping the brightness on the PC and it helps a little...
End of the day it was fun experimenting and trying something different with the setup.. I've also checked and it didn't seem to slow me down either :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:00 am 

TIPEC membership: 996
951Torqing wrote:
Paul Mabley wrote:
garyw wrote:

Paul

Bit too late I know :( but I always slide the lock strip on the SD card when transferring files after having a similar thing happen.

Good tip for the future, thanks for that although it's a microSD not sure if it has one of those? I was really annoyed as I'd done copy paste for safety rather than cut paste after a file loss a while back when the PC hanged while transferring!

garyw wrote:
End of the day it was fun experimenting and trying something different with the setup.. I've also checked and it didn't seem to slow me down either

Indeed it is fun experimenting, been doing so with the skiing and a few other things 8) I'm sure you're speed wasn't at all affected, car looks great at full chat on the circuit too!

2013 Panamera Platinum Diesel, White
Sold April 2013 2009 997 C2S Gen2, Arctic Silver
Sold Aug 2010 2002 996 Carrera, Polar Silver
Sold May 2004 2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
Tony's quote, lifted from the Track Days thread.

Excluding the Porsche Experience Centre, Blyton was my first track day. My intention was to attend as a spectator, take photographs and chat to fellow members I had "met" on the forum.

When I arrived on this glorious warm and sunny day, I had a look at the track (which had huge run off areas), I had a look at the cars (all Porsches precious to my fellow members), I had a look at the attendees ( a normal looking bunch ) and I attended the briefing session (which made it very obvious that this was to be a controlled track day with the emphasis on safety)

Despite not having any specific track insurance for the 991, I decided, 1) There was less risk involved than that on my return journey home and 2) I would have been miserable watching everyone else having so much fun.

I had a brilliant day absolutely thrashing my car (which is what it is designed for) and exploring its limits (to extents I would never be prepared to risk on the public highways). On track, I never felt threatened by others and I hope the reciprocal was also true.

All in all, a day I will remember for all the right reasons. I would recommend others to share the experience should the club organise a similar follow up event

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Great quote. :D

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6704
Ok here you go, feel free to rip my "lines" off

Thanks to Gary for the loan of the GoPro, set mine up perfectly the night before.....and left it on all night :oops: :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3aDB6ggBms

Previous - 997 GTS with aerokit, aqua/black, PDK - Fantastic car would recommend.
997 C2S with aerokit, basalt/black, manual - Good car with great feel. More authentic than the GTS (PDK) but less capable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
that looked pretty reasonable to me! may be wrong but I thought 1st and 3rd lap looked better than the 2nd? I would be pretty pleased with that if I were you. Well done, and thanks for the vid :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm 

Mark, I'd be very pleased with that too :bounce:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6704
You're both very kind :D

Previous - 997 GTS with aerokit, aqua/black, PDK - Fantastic car would recommend.
997 C2S with aerokit, basalt/black, manual - Good car with great feel. More authentic than the GTS (PDK) but less capable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 pm 

starboard147 wrote:
PaulPSB wrote:
I think its you passing me on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qojBt2VxTQk&feature=youtu.be
I take it you mean me, rather than Jon :D Great, thanks, Paul. Actually, looks fine, was wondering how flat is was sitting at speed... Can put the spanners away!! (until I decide to fit some other go-faster bits :D ). By the way, liked your seats... Make and model?

The seats are from Atech racing http://www.atech-racing.com/?s=contact. A friend of mine was their UK agent until recently - not sure there is a UK outlet now :(

Treasurer

Porsche 928 S2 (SOLD)

Porsche 944 S2 (SOLD)

Porsche 924s (Track Day toy)
Porsche 924 Martini (New project)
Porsche Cayenne S (Daily driver)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13