Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel tank leak
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Filled the car full yesterday and was shocked to find a pool of petrol on the forecourt. I know it doesn't take a lot to look alarming. However a look underneath showed a lot of fuel associated with the vent pipe ( 928 201 194 02) which links the top of the tank to the top of the filler moulding.
I found a good thread on Rennlist where the tank had actually split. Has any one else had a tank split? I'm hoping this is a US problem, due to higher ambient temperatures. I also noticed the 05 suffix to the tank part number which suggests that the tank has been subject to several changes. Has any one had issues with the welding of the fitting or the hose? From what I know of the state of other bits of textile covered hose on the car, the rubber could be quite sad, or could the hose have fretted where it passes through the chassis panel? I won't be able to do any thing for a while as I'm away, but I'll have the joy to return to..

Post subject: Re: Fuel tank leak
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 pm 

Hi :)

When mine did that a few years ago...it was a fuel pipe split...not the tank if it helps....I would take a VERY close look at where its actually coming from as i doubt its the tank, although its possible...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:13 am 

I agree, take a good look around the tank and associated hardware etc, a lot of problems the yank's have with there car's don't affect UK cars as much, anyway good luck and hope it's something simple.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:09 pm 

Well, it's taken an age to summons the courage to get stuck in, having done so I am grateful for the encouragement. It turns out the hose was more like a sprinkler, I dipped it in the washing up water and blew down it. Bubbles every where, but at least centred on four points along the hose. Still i suppose it has taken 33 years to get that bad. Moral: look for the simple solution first, and don't faff about, get on with the job! Hopefully my MPG will improve soon.
While the tank was out we also cleaned it and found the strainer had disintegrated, so no wonder the pump was occasionally unhappy and reluctant to spring into life( it's only a year old)