Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spares & Tools to carry
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:27 am 

TIPEC membership: 7502
I apologise if this has been covered before, but being new to 928's I thought I would get expert advice.

What tools and spares do 928 owners carry in case of emergencies, apart from an RAC/AA card.

Post subject: Re: Spares & Tools to carry
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 am 

TIPEC membership: 4635
The factory tool kit (is your's complete?) will equip you for all but the most serious events requiring recovery. I also like to have a small toolbox with smaller screwdrivers, wire cutters, pliers, 3/8 ratchet and common sockets (10, 13, 15, 17), 1/4" ratchet with smaller sockets or 3/8-1/4 adapter.

You should concentrate on simple things which could prevent running, of which the most likely are electrical related (not because the 928 is inherently unreliable electrically, but because your model uses the LH Jetronic injection which relies on a number of electrical parts).

Make sure you have the fuse/relay chart (should be on back of wooden fuse panel cover, and also listed in owner's manual)

Carry at least one spare '53' type relay. These are bog-standard, but are used for the fuel pump, LH (fuel injection) computer and EZK (ignition) computer (the EZK relay looks different, but only because it incorporates a handy fuse tester — 53 relay can substitute), so any of these could stop the car and I've listed them in order of likely failure. If necessary the horn relay is same 53 type so can be swapped in for any suspect relay, but it's illegal to drive without horn function.

The relays are firmly stuck into the central electric panel, so a pair of relay pliers is very useful for pulling suspect one out. Other electrical 'tools' handy to have with you are simple multimeter, and a short jumper lead with spade terminals at each end is handy for diagnosing suspect relays especially fuel pump.. Jumper wire reminds me to add jump leads (only from battery of another vehicle, not from running vehicle)!

Continuing electrical theme, carry a few spare fuses in all the main current ratings. If you check your CE panel, there were originally a few spares mounted in top of panel, together with tweezer type tool for pulling the fuses (if tool missing, carry pair of small pliers). You can test fuses with that EZK relay I mentioned - pop suspect fuse into terminals on top of relay and green led lights if it’s ok. Often though a blown fuse is visually obvious.

Pack of spare bulbs. You may find a set in Halfords which has all the main ones you need (H4 headlight, 21W brake light etc) or obtain individually.

As far as spares go, focus on the ones which could fail and be hard to find at time/place you have problem, and again can stop car going. Counsel of perfection but this would include spare external fuel pump, spare belts for alternator, power steering (you're not going to be able to change the cambelt at side of road, and if it's broken you will have bigger problems!).

Big plastic bag to wrap tyre in if you need to change (and if you're going to change tyre you'll need small compressor too for the emergency spare - Porsche provided one originally with car so maybe you have that - few pairs of nitrile gloves, small but powerful torch or inspection light — the COB LED ones available now are excellent (guarantee any problem will be in gloomy area).

928s get a bad rap for electrics but for less serious problems such as interior lights etc. They are pretty bullet proof in terms of avoiding breakdowns. At Brooklands last year, over 150 turned up from all over UK for the 40th birthday celebrations. Only one failed to start at end of day - I was able to get them going in five minutes by popping in a spare fuel pump relay.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7502
Thank you for the excellent and comprehensive prompt reply.

Just one question. I have always jumped vehicles using the earth cable to somewhere suitable on the bodywork / engine but not the terminal, and left the supply vehicle running. Is this wrong ?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
That arrangement of cables is fine (and there is +ve jump post in engine bay).

But runnning engine on ‘donor’ vehicle not advised. The integrated circuits in the ECUs are from era when hybrid designs used, which are not sufficiently robust to survive ‘spikes’ in voltage from vehicle where voltage regulation not perfect. The LH ‘tile’ is especially vulnerable (can fail in normal use).

Just jump from battery of the other vehicle. It does need to be fairly beefy to turn over the S4’s 5.0L, but I never had problems using battery from usual family cars (Scenic, Saab) at different times.

Actually add to your emergency list what’s in back of my S4 - one of those tiny jump starters like Anti Gravity with high energy density lithium battery, about size of paperback. I notice a number on market now from different brands - just make sure to get one with spec to start 5.0L. Spec on mine says 4.5L but it’s started my car from flat no problem.

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co. ... -xp-1.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
Great advice as always Adrian. :thumbup:

I use one of these for my Euro Trips, all bases are covered

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2