Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 928s boot lock wanted
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:14 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi, I have just brought a '83 928s, after owning a '86 944t and '79 911 I thought try my hand at a 928. I have fixed many faults and coming to more difficult bits.

I have a what seems like a worn rear boot lock/mech, as even after any adjustment the boot doesn't wont to close.

1. I'm looking for a replacement unit both with the key assembly and the 1 on the car.
2. I currently have an odd key for the boot and would like to keep my car with a single key. Would anyone know if I can get pins from the main dealers? I know there's ways to replace the pins.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 928s boot lock wanted
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I too have struggled with the tailgate latch. The PU rubber liner turns to crumbs and doesn't support the upper locking part so when the unlocking motor tries to trip the sear, the lock just moves away and stays locked. Replacing the rubber fixed the problem for me. The other issue was the height which I raised by three thickness of plastic milk can under the bottom lock. The motor to unlock depends on the door lights switch grounding reliably.
The lock barrel can be extracted from the body, I think there is a post on Greg Nicols site, but essentially the tiny brass pin that retains the cylinder has to be extracted then It's worth cleaning it all up any way. Put the key in the lock and see which tumblers are high and which low, juggle to get all flush and if need be file protruding bits. There are several good sites which explain resetting lock tumblers, just typical Porsche everything is that bit more fiddly and complicated. The key being symmetrical there are two identical sets of tumblers 180 degrees rotated.