Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New S4 owner (again) Whine type noise issue
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:26 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi guys me again.....
My car has only done 1,400 miles in the past 10 years and does not appear to have had much love in that period.
After sorting out a wiring short problem the next job was to sort the high tickover issue so I could drive it to see what it is really like.
Tickover sorted, the linkage had been reinstalled incorrectly and was holding the throttle open slightly, and now it ticks over perfectly, much to my amazement.
It had a bit of a ticking noise to the rear of the engine which has now disappeared having driven it for about 10 miles. Probably a sticky lifter.

However, there is a constant 'whine' type noise coming from the rear of the engine. It sounds like a noisy / dodgy power steering pump. I know the steering pump is at the front of the engine, so I was wondering if there was anything towards the rear of the engine which could create this noise?

It also drives like the suspension is made from set custard, all the shocks look like the original 30 year old items, so I need a replacement set. Can you point me in the direction of any suppliers of decent replacements. I do not want to go down the 'upgrade' route, just decent functional replacements will be fine.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: New S4 owner (again) Whine type noise issue
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Rose Passion is selling the original Boges for £136 each inc.vat. Check the OPC price as may not be too far off that (and you would get discount as TIPEC member).

You should pick up a mechanics stethoscope for a few quid (or use length of vacuum hose) to identify source of whine. If it really is at rear of engine then my first thought is torque tube bearings. Does sound vary with engine speed or road speed?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:36 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
OK thanks for the Rose PAssion info.
I managed to get a pair of Boge for £173.37 including delivery. This was on ebay. AGR Automotive. Just hope they are not copy's etc. Will let you know.

Torque tube bearing is a great shout. I'll start it up today and see if the noise changes with rev's. Is it a hard job to replace?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:04 am 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Good price on the Boges! I'm almost certain they'll be genuine - I got a set for £80 each when there was a sale when Boge moved manufacture to Sachs, so price sounds right.

Can't help on the TT as never had to do that procedure. If you join the 928.org.uk email list you'll find people on there who have done this and will be better able to advise.

Cheers

Adrian