Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Water pump questions
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:22 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I always do my own work on my cars myself, its a kind of spanner therapy thing for me. So I am going to replace the water pump and cam belt on my newly acquired 87 S4 auto as I can only find evidence of it having a new belt 30,000 miles ago, and it was in 1994!!! :shock: :shock:

Looking at what brand of pump to buy its bewildering with the variations on price brands (with so called German brands added to the confusion) and availability.
There appears to be some really cheap ones, which I'm guessing are chinese so I wont be touching those as quality is most likely an issue.
It would seem that Geba and Laso brands are OK?

Euro car parts do an 'OE' brand, but i'm not sure what specifically is 'OE' brand, as does design 911.

I'm leaning toward the Euro car parts one as I can get a 30% discount at the moment, and if there is a problem I can go back to them as they are a UK company.

I just don't want to pay good money for a cheap chinese one with moody branding.

Can anyone shed some light and help me buy the right one?

Also, is it viable to replace the bearings on the intermediate/guide pulleys, or should I buy new ones of those too?

I want to do a good job, but don't want my pants pulled down every time I go to do a job on the car.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Water pump questions
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5535
I would go for the LASO pump with the plastic propeller. As far as I know the only place you can currently get them is 928srus in the US. The water pump is critical to these engines so not worth going with an unknown for the sake of a few ££. I would perhaps get them to price you up the full kit including gates timing belt and any bearings. You'll also need to decide if you want to rebuild the tensioner or if you want to go with the aftermarket pktensioner. I went with the pktensioner as rebuilding the stock tensioner and correctly setting it looked like a PTA and required extra tools. The pktensioner is an automatic tensioner so needs no manual adjustment. There are however mixed opinions about it.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:26 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I ended up buying a Geba pump and a Conti cam belt from Euro car parts. I think its a reputable brand and UK supplier, and a 30% discount helped a lot. I will look at the pulleys etc when I get round to doing the job. Am I correct to assume the antifreeze is the Blue one?

MikeC, thanks for your knowledgeable advice, apologies for not going with it. A full kit, is expensive, and although I do not believe in scrimping, I'm not entirely sure how long I am going to keep the car. (I do hope to keep it) If I still have it in 3-4 years time, I will go with a full kit as the car will be a keeper.

I got the car transported to me on Sunday, so I need to go through it and make jobs list. Like all these things, the cost and free time elements are always the governing factors on how long these cars take to make them nice again.

It wasn't the best start to the relationship, I fitted a new battery, and smoke along with the strong smell of melting plastic was coming out from above the left rear quarter window inner trim.

Further investigation showed melted wires. I traced them back, and it appears that the front interior lamp positive feed was touching the metal frame of the roof. The wires were melted from the lamp, (which also started to melt) across the roof, down the left B pillar to a multiplug just above the left sill!

Very, very lucky to have spotted it quickly enough, especially as it wasn't insured until the Monday morning!!!!

So Jobs list looks like it starts with:
Check all wiring and fuses are safe and correct.
Sort tickover, currently @ 2,500 rpm.
Drive the car to see if there are any more major problems.
Do cam belt and water pump.
Investigate slight ticking noise from engine which sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine. (i'm thinking possible flex plate??)
Oh, an the tailgate lock is removed and in pieces in the boot with some parts broken.

Then the fun will start I guess!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
The design of the roof lights are a weak point, and as they age/warp with heat from the bulb, it's a common problem for a short to be made across the metal roof (you can substitute more modern and robust Passat lights if you like, or do what I did and replace with LED festoon bulbs which don't create heat to warp the fixture, and don't flatten battery if you have doors open when working on car with battery connected).

But an interior lights short usually just results in an instantly blown fuse. You should check why the wiring melted - has the fused circuit been bypassed, or more likely has someone replaced the fuse at some point with one with too high a rating? It should be a 7.5A in position 24 on your 87. Wonder if someone has popped in a 25 or 30A?