Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New S4 owner with some detail question
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi guys
I've just bought a 87 S4 in Lagoon green and have a few questions if any one can help.

How come some have twin pipes out of the silencer and some have a single polished pipe?
The 928S4 decal to the right of the rear pu. Is this specific to a year or model?
Some rear spoilers are painted, some are black, again is this model/year specific?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: New S4 owner with some detail question
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 am 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Backitoff wrote:
Hi guys
I've just bought a 87 S4 in Lagoon green and have a few questions if any one can help.

How come some have twin pipes out of the silencer and some have a single polished pipe?
The 928S4 decal to the right of the rear pu. Is this specific to a year or model?
Some rear spoilers are painted, some are black, again is this model/year specific?

Thanks

Good that you mention the model year, as 928s can vary so much by model/model year.

Different models had different rear silencer designs, but not in a consistent way. A 1986 S2 came from the factory with twin pipes. Your 87 has the correct big single oval pipe for the early S4. When S4 model changed to digital dash from MY89 the rear silencer changed to a twin pipe design, and this was kept for the manual GT model and subsequent GTS models. But modifying the exhaust is a popular pastime for 928 owners (it's a very discreet kind of V8, so some owners prefer more of a traditional V8 rumble/throb!) so you will find variations on this when aftermarket exhausts have been installed.

The decal was an option on all S4 models 87-91 (or rather deleting the decal was option). I think the earlier S2 had S2 embossed in the rear PU instead, but may be wrong!

Only S4, GT and GTS had the bigger and more obvious rear spoiler rather than a lip (S and S2). For S4 and GT the spoiler was black vinyl as standard, but was painted body colour (and texture was smoother) on the GTS. GTS was MY92 onwards, S4 ran MY87-91, GT MY89-91

In two weeks time their will be a huge gathering of 928s at Brooklands to celebrate their 40th birthday. Will be at least 120 cars attending, so if you come along it's a perfect opportunity to see all possible variations!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:02 am 

That's very helpful, thanks.

My spoiler has been painted but is flaking, so I'll get the rest of the paint off to make it black again.

I really like the twin pipe look, so will look at how to modify, or swap out the rear silencer.
And, I like the sticker, so I'll source one and fit.

Brooklands sounds good, will do my best to attend.

I have a high tickover problem to deal with as a first job. It sits at around 2,500 rpm and won't come down if I blip the throttle. I'm sure it due to the car having such little use. (1400 miles in the past 10 years). Probably a perished vacuum pipe, well that's what I'm hoping !

Is there a register to identify how many of each colour were produced?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
There''s no colour register, but Brian Long's excellent book on the 928 lists which colours were avaiilable for each model year which is some guide.

For the high idle check simple things first. I would start with idle position of throttle position switch. Is it operating mechanically when throttle closed? Is it signalling idle position electrically to the LH ECU?

The workshop manual is cheaply available on CD, and contains troubleshooting guide for idle problems. But it is a pretty standard Bosch LH Jetronic set-up.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:19 pm 

That's really helpful.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 am 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Backitoff wrote:

I have a high tickover problem to deal with as a first job. It sits at around 2,500 rpm and won't come down if I blip the throttle. I'm sure it due to the car having such little use. (1400 miles in the past 10 years). Probably a perished vacuum pipe, well that's what I'm hoping !

Remember thinking my throttle had stuck open, it was the throttle cable that was sticking. Some WD40 and freed off. I bought all the hoses and bends/Ypieces from Porsche and think it was under £40 for the lot. Took the intake plenum off and replaced them all. Easy enough job.

As my current V8 is Italian, I'm off to see if I can borrow a 928 to come to Brooklands Adrian. Will drop you a note if I can make it, if not have a good one and catch up another time. :D

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!