Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: electrical gremlins
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7790
Hi all

The 928 was playing up around xmas with electrical woes, fitted a new battery and had some work done on rear light wiring for car to pass its mot. However now the 928 has died on me and had to have AA to jump it into life. AA man thought the flow from battery was good as its new but volt meter on dash was low around 11v

Can anyone explain the power loss ?

Post subject: Re: electrical gremlins
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:53 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
edwall wrote:
Hi all

The 928 was playing up around xmas with electrical woes, fitted a new battery and had some work done on rear light wiring for car to pass its mot. However now the 928 has died on me and had to have AA to jump it into life. AA man thought the flow from battery was good as its new but volt meter on dash was low around 11v

Can anyone explain the power loss ?

There's so many electrical gremlin's that afflict the 928, that it's hard to pinpoint any one thing, if you have not refurbished the fuse board yet, it's a good place to start, ie remove and replace all the fuses with new one's and clean the mating surfaces where the fuses clip in, also the relays, take them out one by one and clean both male and female pins.., be careful removing relays as they can separate, and make sure battery is disconnected !
Remove the earth lead in the hatch, cut a slit in the outer plastic protection sleeve and examine the condition of the braded flat lead, if there's any green, black corrosion fit a new one.
Check the 14 pin connector on the driver side extreme front inner wheel arch (easy enough to see this) open bonnet and it's located almost in front of you to the left and up a bit, the pins inside get corroded over time resulting in bad contact.

As I say there, so many thing's but a lot of problems disappear when you carry out something like I have described,Iv'e had my 928 25 years now and can honestly say that all this cleaning of electrical stuff makes a massive difference.