Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:55 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Remove rear light unit ???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:59 pm 

Hi All :)

Went for a family meal today and rear nearside indicator stopped working...removed the light cover on my S2 and found the brass contact that touches the centre of the indicator bulb had dropped down inside the plastic rear holder :(

Therefore I need to remove the bulb holder unit to either fix or replace the unit...

My manuals are not with me here so has anyone got any idea HOW to remove the bulb holder rear unit ???

Does it come out towards the back or front or from inside the car ??? any ideas welcome lol ??

In case anyone is interested my brother is sending down his unused genuine Porsche 928, 10 manual set (grey covers) which will be for sale with some other S2 parts now he has sold his 928...

All the best Brett :)

Post subject: Re: Remove rear light unit ???
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:25 pm 

Never taken one out, only removed the lens to replace bulbs, but it didn't look to me like it was accessible.

If you look on ebay there are a couple of items with useful pictures

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/genuine-PORSCHE-928-S2-rear-bumper-with-lights-pu-in-black-/142047798042?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-928-Right-Hand-Rear-Light-ESW-/272255230817?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

These make it look like the rear part of the light is firmly attached to the rear PU - you may be able to see a way to remove them but it looks like it might require removal of the PU to get to the rear of the lights.

Have you tried phoning Paul Anderson in case he knows a trick?

Otherwise you'll be driving home using hand signals

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:30 pm 

Spoke to Paul A today....

Officially you do HAVE to remove the rear PU to remove the back light unit...

Paul will try and do it without by possibly drilling holes for the electrical connector and fitting another indicator base into the fitting or something similar...

As he said, he didnt think my Mirror wrap would survive removing the rear PU lol...

Car being picked up tomorrow by Tony (Pauls recovery driver)

Will let you all know how it pans out....

To be honest its the first really bad piece of design I have seen on a 928...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:46 pm 

Spoke to Paul A today :)

He has fixed it without removing the rear PU....

Not seen it yet , coming back tomorrow (2 day pick up/fix/return)

He has drilled some holes in back of indicator unit to recover the electrical connection and fixed it back in correct place but also screwed it in with a tiny screw so it cannot do it again.... :)

The main point I would like to emphasise to all is that you DO NOT have to remove the rear PU in this situation, it IS fixable with a lot of skill...

Paul is a genius lol...