Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:00 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Fog/Aux Lamp 1988 S4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:38 pm 

HI
I am replacing the Fog/Aux bulbs with Cree ones from Bizman928 but had major trouble with 4 rusty screws getting assembly out, I have managed to break the casing that the lamp fits into.
Can I just buy this part on its own?, its has 928.631.405.00 on it but I think this is for the whole assembly?

Post subject: Re: Help with Fog/Aux Lamp 1988 S4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Those machine screws are notorious for corroding. A hand impact driver is best tool for removing them cleanly (shock breaks corrosion as it turns screw) but too late now! But if you use a smear of copper anti-seize on the new unit the screws will come out easily in future.

Unfortunately the rear units are only available as complete units with front lens section. Sid's law says the lens section is available as separate part!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5535
Timely thread, I feel your pain. I need to change a bulb in mine and am having the same trouble with the screws. I've got two out and two to go.

Does anyone know what size these screwa are so I can replace them? Don't see them listed separately on pet.

Perhaps you could try find a used one to replace the back of yours. Nixsoft-consulting or Douglas Valley might have what you need. DV don't have a great rep but I've had a few parts from them with no problems.

Btw, how did you get the lamp off the car? Did you take the whole bumper off?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
The screws come with new lights so not listed separately. But now you have couple out just measure the thread diameter eg 4mm = M4 and source stainless replacement.

The rear unit is held in by 2 nuts, so to remove entirely you just have to pull forward and disconnect from loom. It's some time since I fitted new lights so it's possible I had to take out wheel liner to reach connector, but it's definitely not bumper off!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:05 pm 

MikeC
I managed to get the drivers side off but it's still held on with just 2 screws, the passenger side again only held on with 2 but one of them would not budge, it broke the lug off from the plastic part behind in the end. I have glued it back in but don't think it will hold.

I rang DV breakers but he laughed at me! Paul Anderson also has a waiting list for them.

I think I am going to look to buy 2 new ones, install the back part that the fog light screws into with screws that will not rust and keep the 2 new lights when I get a stone chip or another Forum user that needs one , don't think I will have change out of £500 though.

Steve