Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:29 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brembo chapsMaybe GTS?) -Pads Done - Dampening discs or not?
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:09 pm 

The time has come to order some pads for my 944 Turbo. Yes I know this is a 928 forum but I have the GTS brakes on my car.

Fortunately it seems I may get away without changing the discs this time (at £200 a piece!), but some pads are required.

Before I go splashing the cash I was considering getting Pagids. Whilst I would love to go genuine I also see that they are £200 for the pair. Unless they are vastly different I am weighing up the cheaper options.

My question to you is between the Pagids at £40 and Textars at £85 which would you go with? Have some of you tried both? I shall be using the car on the road predominantly with some track work. With the size of the discs I would hope stock pads would keep me stopping well! Other suggestions are welcome, although I shall say that I have never had a great experience with EBC pads.

Ex Owner of a 1989 944 S2 and a 1991 944 Turbo (Ex Andrew Sweetenaham (ProMax) car)

Now Porkerless! Now with a 2003 BMW M3 and 1991 Mercedes W124 250D

Last edited by AlpineTurbo on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Brembo owners (Maybe GTS?) - Pagids or Textars
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5385
EBC are total sh*te in my oppinion, i have spent a bit more on performance friction pads and wow! braking very late into a roundabout from 140 ish and its like a bigger brake kit. at night i get a display off sparks from the discs down the side of the car, so they must be eating the discs. looks good tho :D

TR7
TVR 300m[sold
MGB rusted away
Z1000
GSX 1100r/i]
star gemini 250 (kart)
sisley cobra 100 (kart)
http://stuarthusband.com

Post subject: Re: Brembo owners (Maybe GTS?) - Pagids or Textars
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 pm 

rapidstu wrote:
EBC are total sh*te in my oppinion, i have spent a bit more on performance friction pads and wow! braking very late into a roundabout from 140 ish and its like a bigger brake kit. at night i get a display off sparks from the discs down the side of the car, so they must be eating the discs. looks good tho :D

I'd agree about the Extremely Bad Crap pads for sure :).

If I had the stock M030s on this I most likely would have gone with the PFs or something like the Ferodo DS2500. But as the GTS owners here will know, most things on these brakes are almost double what they cost on an M030 car; a certainly 928 guru was saying that this put off a few of his customers from going to the 'Big Blacks' in addition to his racer running on M030s and fast road pads, which were said to be great in racing.

It seems that in the end I was saved. I managed to bag a set of Genuine Porsche brake pads for the grand sum of £67 posted to my door. I guess that made my life alot easier :).

Here is another question for you 928 owners. How many of you have reused your dampener discs (is this even possible) or even used them at all? I am debating upon buying the dampening discs for the timebeing.

Ex Owner of a 1989 944 S2 and a 1991 944 Turbo (Ex Andrew Sweetenaham (ProMax) car)

Now Porkerless! Now with a 2003 BMW M3 and 1991 Mercedes W124 250D

Post subject: Re: Brembo chapsMaybe GTS?) -Pads Done - Dampening discs or
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
It's not possible to reuse the damping plates - very strong glue to the pad rears.

I probably won't use them at next pad change as requires calipers off every time you want to take pads out, and you get almost as good (never quite as good) squeal suppression using copper grease between pads and pistons.

They are also fiddly to fit "spiders" into pistons!

Porsche always fits them though, and they generally know best.

Post subject: Re: Brembo chapsMaybe GTS?) -Pads Done - Dampening discs or
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 am 

TIPEC membership: 993
I have used Pagid and textars on my 993 (Road), both with good results, these have been their standard pads, buy the lower cost option, as they are(I am informed) the same pad from the same factory/company. Use the Damping discs, although we are told they do not need to be used now as there is improved backing on the pads to stop squeal, don't believe that, they will!! don't think it worthwhile trying to reuse D/D's , because as suggested earlier, glue is really strong. Have also been advised not to use any grease, of any kind, on Porsche Brake calipers, Have not researched this though?