Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: X-Pipe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:23 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5535
I've just about got my exhaust removed so I can get into the flexplate and remove tension and check crank endplay. If the crank endplay checks out ok then I'm thinking about chucking in an x-pipe. Does anyone have one of these installed?

http://www.nixsoft-consulting.co.uk/928spares/index.php?id=products

If so what are your thoughts?

I was planning on keeping the stock muffler but I notice the site says "If you are fitting an X-pipe to the car we recommend the RMB with the silencer fitted to keep noise to an acceptable level.". Does anyone know if that comment only relates to people who want to put on a RMB or is it aimed at those with stock mufflers also? I hadn't planned on doing putting an RMB on as from what I have read it doesn't do much other than increase noise. I expect an increase of noise but I don't want to much.

Cheers
Mike

Post subject: Re: X-Pipe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:57 pm 

mikec wrote:
I was planning on keeping the stock muffler but I notice the site says "If you are fitting an X-pipe to the car we recommend the RMB with the silencer fitted to keep noise to an acceptable level.". Does anyone know if that comment only relates to people who want to put on a RMB or is it aimed at those with stock mufflers also? I hadn't planned on doing putting an RMB on as from what I have read it doesn't do much other than increase noise. I expect an increase of noise but I don't want to much.

Yes, the comment refers to people who want an RMB along with the X-pipe, a combination which is thought to be louder than some consider acceptable (but others like their cars to be as loud as possible). If you're using the X-pipe with a standard exhaust you should be OK as the noise change is apparently quite subtle.

All the above is other people's opinion, I don't have an X-pipe or an RMB.

If Paul Anderson hasn't got stock then try Richard at Ritech.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:27 am 

Hi :)

I went through this in my early days with my 928 S2...

As follows....

X-Pipe from Paul A/Richard A = IMPROVED pickup and performance and a tiny increase in noise level.... (around 20 ish hp increase...)

That was NOT enough noise for me so went for an RMB as well as the X-Pipe....MAYBE 1 or 2 hp more maybe... and a LOT more lovely noise.... too loud for some though...

Then I started putting large amounts on Nitrous through the engine/exhaust and for Nitrous you NEED as little back presssure as possible....so I did the following...

Removed both front boxes... removed both intermediate resonators (middle boxes) removed RMB and replaced it with Paul A`s new straight through rear box....

I also replaced ALL piping on both sides with 3.5 inch stainless race pipe, again from Paul A.

So the final result was... X-Pipe at front 3,5 Race pipe all the way to the rear with NO boxes on the way...and just a straight through Paul A box at rear,,,,

That gives me a Decibel reading ( I have my own DB meter.... of 130 db at 7000 revs lol.....)

It is REALLY REALLY loud... but I doubt anyone not running Nitrous would either want or need it that loud....

Going back to your original point.... X will give you power and RMB as well will give you noise (its subjective whether its too loud for you or not)

Hope this helps ...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I got my X pipe done down in Ayrshire and they made a great job, it did help with performance so my cat's must have been choked. Slight increase in sound, but not much. Well worth the money.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:44 pm 

Got the exhaust off today after picking up a new spanner from Halfords. Haven't managed to get a reliable reading on the crank endplay yet. I'll need to order a dial gauge I think. Anyway if that checks out ok I'll go for the x-pipe. More HP and just a little extra noise sounds exactly what I'm after. A cheeky wee upgrade will make having to remove the exhaust worth while.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:18 pm 

Got the dial gauge today and got the crank endplay measured tonight. Took 4 readings all 2.2 on the gauge and went home delighted. I read the page about crank endplay again and saw the limit is 0.40mm and then thought shit hang on. So I paced the house for a few minutes then jumped into the car and drove back round to the garage shitting myself thinking the engine can't be that fucked it is driving fine. I got the gauge out again and then realised there is a small dial on it that clocks up the mm's every time the main gauge does a full rotation. So panic over, reading is 0.22mm, well within spec :D

Having a beer to calm myself down!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Will X pipes on a cat car affect emissions for mot .I assume lambda sensor and cat gets removed to fit x pipe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:09 pm 

I've just installed mine but haven't tested it yet as I'm mid cambelt job. The one I bought same as the one linked to above but from Ritech Systems keeps the sensor and removes the cats, there is a thread for the sensor to screw into. As for emissions testing I believe cars pre 1992 don't need cats

Attachments:
xpipe.jpg
xpipe.jpg [ 111.32 KiB | Viewed 7791 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:58 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6940
89 non-cat S4

Was stock exhaust and muffler when bought.
First picked up a cheap RMB on eBay which helped free up a bit of noise, but not enough.

Then combined with a second hand Ritech X-Pipe which really made a difference.

Performance gains negligible but does pick up a bit better above 4000rpm now.

Noise is just about perfect. Maybe too loud for some, but not me.
Think Vauxhall Monaro with an aftermarket exhaust for volume.

I kept the standard parts in case the next buyer wanted to quiet it down a bit, but I think they would be daft frankly!

Car now for sale in the Classified here sadly.

Rafe